Topic

REI Jet UL pack (30L)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Jet UL pack (30L)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

Just came across this new pack from REI. 30L / 1830ci, 22oz, foam padding, looks to have good straps, $55. If it's as good as the Flash, this could make a great pack. Has anyone seen one in person?
    rei jet ul pack

Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

I've also been wondering about that pack. I like the big mesh pockets,the top pocket,and the hip belt pocket. I only wish it had a pocket on the other side of the hip belt. I hope someone here has seen it. Where is Bearpaw when you need him?

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"Where is Bearpaw when you need him?"

I just ordered one last week, but we won't get them at my store for another week or two. I'll be sure to give word once I get it. The only downside I can see to this is that it is a one-size-fits-some. With my long torso, I'll wind up carrying pretty much all the weight on my shoulders. But then, it's designed for light loads any way. BTW the frame sheet is removable so you can drop another 2.5 ounces and stow it inside another pack, much like I currently use the UL Flash, as a summit pack.

I'll give more word when I get mine.

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

I just realized that this is an ultralight jet-pack! :)

The removable foam looked like a joke. More like the kind of foam for a little padding but nothing near stiff to work as a frame.

Andrew Foster

@afoster

I purchased one yesterday. Tried it out in the store with 8lbs in it. The foam is relatively dense, although thin, so it seemed to provide adequate padding, but no real suspension.

The shock cord and mesh pockets seem very useful, the straps and pad are well ventilated. The hipbelt pocket is a little too small and the zipper doesn't open easily enough.

I also looked at the 9oz peak bagger/stuff sack. Felt like more than 9oz to me, but was comfortable with 5lbs in it. Great deal for $25.

Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

Mr. Paw,if it isn't too much trouble,could you take a gander at the UL45 pack? Also,I see REI is carrying the Golite Litespeed pack. Can you give us your expert opinion on these packs? Thanks.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I just got back from REI and found it intriguing, especially for only $55! For the sake of comparison, it's about the same wieght (1,6) as the Golite Jam but considerably smaller, but about the same size as the Golite Dawn but considerable heavier ( 14 oz vs 1,6). They could have lightened up a tad had they continued using silnylon, but for this year's lineup they went with 140 dernier polyurathane coated nylon. As for fit, I have a 21" torso and found it adequate.

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Bearpaw:
    Kind of enlarging scope of this thread to include the REI Quick UL 45 as Aaron also mentioned. I'm in need of mid-size pack and can't really afford the top ones like SMD's Starlite and am also old-school enough at this point to prefer a minimal frame for weight transfer.
    The REI UL 45 looks intriguing but I can't get into Chicago this weekend to look at it (plans fell through due to family illness) and my 20% off is only good through the weekend.
    Have you (or anyone else) had a chance to look at, hold, wear this pack enough to venture an opinion and critique?
    Thanks for any reponses.

Curtis Ware
    BPL Member

@ware_curtis

Locale: Midwest

I have used the UL 45 for year and a half doing the first section of the Ozark Highlands trail and the Buffalo River Trail (Both in Arkansas) with no complaints. I would prefer a pack with a mesh pocket in front so you can put wet tarps and water filter. I tried an older version of the Gregory G and the Golite INfinity on some weekend hikes with scouts but opt for the UL 45 for the Buffalo River Trail trip (50 miles).

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Larry,
    What weight range do you think is comfortable/max for this pack? Have you tried adding a bungie system to hold wet gear?

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I got my Jet this past week, and it is NOT an exact take-off on the older REI UL 30. It uses a very light plastic framesheet. It is designed to be used as a lightweight daypack, though it could easily be used as an extended trip pack by a UL'er. Its one size is too short to provide weight distribution to my hips. (I'm guessing this is true for any one with a torso length over maybe 18 inches.) However, with a UL load it is comfortable even without load transfer. By removing the the framesheet you can drop the weight from 22 ounces to about 20 (by my scales). The material is tough, the hipbelt pockets are nice. It carries well, so long as loads stay in the UL range. My only real complaint is the lack of a hydration sleeve. I may engineer a way to hang my ULA catalyst sleeve in the Jet. At $55, it is a great bargain, IMO.

As for the UL 45, they are no longer made and are available on clearance. It is a solid pack for loads under 25 pounds. Some customers who buchwhack, sit on their packs, or drop them instead of lowering them to the ground have had some issues with durability. Some have also complained that the sliding points of the shoulder straps (they are one continuous piece running through loops at the hip belt) are awkward. Others, such as my girlfriend, really like them. I have heard some customers complain they did not like the way the lid attaches at only point, fearing it will slide one way or the other with a light load. However, the internal compression system mostly takes care of that. Again, for under $60, it is a real bargain.

If you can't get the clearance UL 45 in your size, look at the Quick UL 45 from REI, this year's replacement for last year's ul 45. It uses the much tougher fabric of the Jet, a new aluminum frame tha minimizes weight gain over last year's pack, and a handsome price of $99.

These are not the cream of the UL crop, but for a hiker looking to lighten his pack weight considerably from traditional wieghts, they are a very cost-effective means to that end.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

We all can't afford the cream of the crop.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools