Topic

Mountain House Beef Stew — not impressed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Mountain House Beef Stew — not impressed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

It's been, like, 20 years since I've purchased a commercial backpacking meal, preferring to create my own. But this past weekend my son and I went on a two-night backpacking trip in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness (Oregon, USA) and agreed that each would contribute a dinner and breakfast.

Three of those meals were delicious.

But since I had little time for preparation, I decided to take a flyer on a store-bought meal and selected the Beef Stew from the House of Mountain.

I confess that I had hopes that companies like Mountain House had made great strides in palatability in the 20 years since I last bought a commercial backpacking meal.

Alas, I was wrong. This dish tasted of chemicals, it was not very foodlike at all. The carrots tasted as awful as they always had, the beef was weird, the sauce . . . oh, the sauce! It had that creepy glisten typically found only with microwave meals, and never with real food.

Admittedly, it had the advantage of being much much lighter than the supermarket meals, but since I hike these days with no carbohydrates, I get plenty of energy from tins of sardines, nuts, jerky, summer sausages, tuna in oil in foil packets, etc., and I needed only one pound of food per day on an eight-day solo hike I took a couple weeks ago. Food weight is not a problem for me.

Which is a good thing because if I had to face meals like that Mountain House Beef Stew every night I'd probably take up archery or roller-skating.

====================
    * It was a short trip so we didn't concern ourselves with shaving ounces. For the two breakfasts we had: real eggs scrambled with rehydrated mushrooms and onions, cheese, olive oil, and bacon; and the other was corned beef hash sauted with Red Boat Fish Sauce [Google it] cheese, and corn tortillas with a side of salsa. The other dinner was instant potatoes, a wild onion found along trail, and fried low-sodium Spam. All three were quite tasty, though much more carby than I normally eat.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Mountain house is pure rubbish, it makes McDonalds taste gourmet ;-)

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

MH is indeed rubbish. It would be good to learn that commercial backpacking meals have improved during the two decades since I last tried them.

Who makes the good backpacking meals?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'll put in my plug here for Packit Gourmet. Some of my favorites are:
    – Jumpstart Fruit Smoothies for breakfast
    – Creamy Italian Polenta with Sausage for breakfast
    – Austintacious Tortilla Soup
    – Dottie's Chicken and Dumplings
    – Tuscan Beef Stew over Polenta
    – Zydeco Red Beans and Rice
    I've actually never had anything from them that I didn't enjoy. The above are all made with just boiling water, but they have other options that require more than one pot.

Other people really like Hawk Vittles but I've never tried them.

There is an option for those of us who don't dehydrate their own…

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Packit Gourmet is now on my list to use the next time I need to get a commercially-packaged meal. Thanks!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Pack IT gourmet is good, used them this weekend.

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

Try their All American Burger Wrap and the potato salad. The potato salad is our new favorite.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I also like the food offered by Packit Gourmet. I especially like their Kickin' Chicken Hot Wings Wrap (a good no cook option) and their Texas State Fair Chili. Jump-Start Fruit Smoothies have become a staple at breakfast when I'm on the trail. Their single serving meals are generous in size and I often have a hard time finishing the last few bites.

David Ure

@familyguy

"This dish tasted of chemicals, it was not very foodlike at all."

I assume you took out the chemical freshness packet before boiling.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In my experience the MH beefstew is their worst tasting dish.

The turkey a la king is ok.

I personally prefer to augment Mary Janes dishes or bring something prepared at home. Mike Clelland has some good recipes in his book.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In the past when I've been forced to use Mountain House meals, the only way that I could make them decent was to pour the boiling water over the food, then simmer it with some margarine or olive oil added. Putting back the slightly oily consistency was necessary. If the flavor is still off, add some soy sauce.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have good luck w/Inertia Foods, and most of the Hawk Vittles. I like Hawk Vittles dinner entrees, for some reason didnt care on recent 9 day Sierra trip in CA, w/their breakfast entrees.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

David wrote, "I assume you took out the chemical freshness packet before boiling."

LOL — yeah, we did.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I assume you took out the chemical freshness packet before boiling."

I thought that was a flavor packet.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

It might have given more taste if left in ;-)

There are few meals I'll eat – Packit is some of the few.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Sarah writes, "It might have given more taste if left in ;-)"

Well, lack of any savory flavor is just one of the faults with that meal. The slimy texture and creepily uniform bits of meat, carrots, and potatoes (at least I think those were potato chunks, they were white and flavorless — but then none of the other bits had flavor except the carrots and they tasted terrible) lacked what it takes to trigger an appetite in me.

We both agreed it was a terrible meal.

If I have dissuaded anyone from purchasing that slop then my work here is done.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

+1 to Packit Gourmet and Hawk Vittles. PG's fruit smoothies are a great high-cal breakfast side, as is their Jamaican Peanut Pooridge. They also have a lot of cold water prep lunches (Potato Samosas are my favorites) that do wonders to tortillas. And of course some tasty hot meals as well. Hawk Vittles has great dinner entrees, and some very filling hot breakfast meals.

I'm doing the Foothills Trail starting Saturday, and ALL of my meals will be from the above 2 companies. And I'm already looking forward to mealtime.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

On our August Trek, 6 of us ate the MH Beef Stew that had been slightly modified with about 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4tsp herbs and 1/4tsp brown gravy powder before the boiling water was added. The result was a richly-brothed mixture we all found to be tasty and good. So good that the Beef Stew and Chili Mac meals are now on the "let's get more of those" list as we're working up recipes to home-build some of the other meals we think can be done better by us.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Backpackerpantry is blows MTNhouse out of the water.

The kung pow chicken was very very good, easy to make and organic ingredients. A little more expensive though.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

At last…others who think this is an awful dish.

I unwisely took some on my JMT thru based on (what is IMO the very fine Beef Stroganoff as a guide). Instant (or not so) regret….never really reconsituted well, poor taste.

Happily altitude had squashed my appetite flat.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…"slimy texture". That would be cheap thickeners. Which you really, really don't want to be eating!!

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

For backpackers and such, it's really not necessary to buy 15-year lifetime storage food for meals. While the MH pouches are convenience packaged, there are many other options when you don't need it to last 15 years.

I'd suppose that in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world without any other food available, it would probably taste pretty yummy.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools