Topic

Awesome New Chris Zimmer Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Awesome New Chris Zimmer Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

After my Absaroka pack was run over I've been on a hunt for something to replace it. I bought a HMG Porter from Anthony and liked it but it just didn't quit fit right. So I emailed back and forth with Chris Zimmer about making something similar but out of X-Pac with some ideas of my own. He was very patient with my rather picky requirements and his turn around time was amazingly fast.

Here are pictures of what he came up with. I can't wait to try it out.

James Berwick

@jhb0510

That looks fantastic, how big is it, how heavy is it and what did it cost?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

The weight is 28oz which is great for a pack with a frame made from durable materials (compare that to a frameless golite pack for example).

The dimensions are about 7×11 on the bottom and a total of 33 inches high. So I'm guessing without the whole extension collar you have around 2000-2500 cubic inches to work with. My gear fit nicely inside the HMG Porter so we used similar dimensions for this pack.

The whole point of this pack was to have a pack that was
    1. Rugged
    2. Big enough for a thru-hike but that compressed down so it wasn't overkill for a weekend hike.
    3. Sturdy enough to haul 35-40 pounds but not so heavy that it was overkill for a weekend UL hike.

I think this pack nails all of those. It should be my go to pack for pretty much any trip except a few weekend SUL trips.

Chris' pricing depends on materials, number of pockets etc. but overall its very reasonable. I would have paid basically the same price if I'd bought a couple of popular cottage gear packs that are NOT custom made to my exact specifications.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Luke,

Both of us make our own packs but I have to say Chris Zimmer is in a class by himself.

I am serving notice here and now that I am officially jealous! ;-)

Sweet pack!

Party On,

Newton

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Luke: Nice looking pack.

You said it has a frame, what kind and how many stays?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Hik – The frame is a U shaped frame similar to those used in Gossamer Gear packs. It fits into a sleeve inside the pack. I asked Chris to attach the frame as close as possible to the hipbelt. I think this will really improve comfort carrying heavier loads.

John – I've made some packs too but nothing this nice. I actually tried a similar project with Dyneema X and give up because it was just so complicated fitting it all together. I'm sticking with frameless packs for MYOG right now although I have a design I like for a MYOG internal frame pack I want too try at some point.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Wow–I really like this. It looks like it ticks off a lot of boxes that I've been wanting for some time now. I'd love to hear how it performs. If my MYOG plans don't turn out well this winter, I might give Chris a call.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Definitely looks good.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Nice Luke, I have some xpac shoulder pockets from him. Its very durable and waterproof. It does seem that the material is somewhat stiff, seems like it would be good for structure. Like opposite of thin nylon. Do you see yourself removing the frame and using CCF ever?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I got the pack today and its every bit as nice as the pictures indicate. I loaded it up with an estimated 30 pounds and walked around a bit. The load lifters are only about 1 inch from the top of the shoulder straps but they are handy for dialing in a perfect fit. The double straps on the hipbelt help it to wrap around better.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Luke,

So what did you and Chris wind up calling it?

I went to the Zimmerbuilt site and I see a pack called the "Cameron" but it's a dyneema pack and it doesn't look like yours.

May I suggest the LSCZ pronounced El's Easy. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Looks like a great pack! Chris does excellent work.

One thing I am curious about with pack designs like this and the porter: How do you go about storing/accessing water on the go? After using my Ohm 2.0 on a number of trips, for me personally, not having such easy access to water bottles in the outer pockets is a deal breaker on these types of packs.

michael levi

@m-l

What grade xpac did you use, vx21, vx07?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

The back, bottom and sides are VX21 (the gray and black parts). The orange is the VX07. My original plan was to hang two water bottles from the front. The lighter xpac is noticeably softer (and a bit lighter) so its well suited to the roll top closure.

I had originally thought about hanging water bottles off the front but I may not bother now. Its a bit of a hassle to take the pack off to get water but not too much. The trade off is that my pack is very streamline which is nice for slipping between trees when I go off trail.

If I ever really wanted too I could make detachable side pockets and connect them to the compression straps. Probably won't though.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

That pack looks great, very clean. How is the fit. Is it broken in yet? How do you like it so far?

michael levi

@m-l

How is your vx21 handling abrasion on the bottom? Would you say it's better than dyneema x?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

It is hard to say. I've only had it out for 6 days and its showing no signs of wear (not that I've abused it). I imagine they would be about equal for normal wear and tear. Dyneema X is a bit more tear resistant (I've tried tearing samples of both) but I'm not sure how big a difference that makes.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Luke, I'm having Zimmer make me a pack largely based off of yours – thanks! I was using the pictures on his site to help illustrate features I'd like and more and more referred back to yours. As luck would have it, while searching the web for additional images I came across this thread. Lucky for me, but probably not for you with all the questions I have.

Above you mentioned the dimensions of the pack at the bottom are 11" x 7"; does your pack taper? If so, what are the dimensions at the top, before the extension collar?

Also, you mention that you wanted the frame as close to the back as possible. What was done differently by Zimmer in this regards?

Anything you might change?

Thanks for your time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools