Topic

Made a new cookset and carbon fiber lid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Made a new cookset and carbon fiber lid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

My friend gave me a piece of scrap carbon fiber that he made for a race car a few months ago, so I decided to spice up my cook set…

.005 foil from ti goat
    cork lid and mini cotterpin
    .2 oz ti stakes

I still need to drill some really clean air holes, that should lighten it up a little. If I could find some smaller/ lighter stakes I could nest them…

Took it out last night and boiled some water for dinner, using 2 coghlan's tablets got a roaring boil before I knew it. It looks like I can use wood as a fuel source too.

dd
    gff
    efefcarbon backpacking

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Classy, very neat.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It appears that the windscreen has zero air holes now. Normally I would expect to see a couple of dozen quarter-inch air holes around the bottom. The good news is that if you punch those holes, you will lighten it up by some milligrams.

–B.G.–

michael levi

@m-l

Thanks very much Roger, and yes Bob I am planning on doing that when I get time.

I would like to add that from the top of the fuel tablet to the base of the pot it measures pretty close to 1.25 inches, which is optimal.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

Sweet and simple! Classy indeed. Admirable weight.

On the Coghlan’s website it says that their fuel tablets are clean burning, easy to ignite, smokeless and odorless.

Is that your experience? Was there any soot?

I will soon be ordering my Ti foil from Ti Goat but I am searching / researching a heavier duty 1/4" hole punch. ;-?

Party On,

Newton

Rodney Davis
    BPL Member

@ramrod

Locale: North Carolina

I got one of these and works well on all thin metals, Ti will wear the dies after a while, but I have punched several hundred. You can also use smaller punch to make a better alcohol stove in your cat can, several small holes in rows seems to burn faster with out taking up so much fill space in your cat can.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_16698_16698

Russ Maynard
    Spectator

@russmay

Locale: Central California

Nice set up.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Thanks Rodney,

$29.88 to my front door including shipping seems like a decent price.

It seems to have great reviews and your recommendation.

Is it easy to handle and align with the desired hole placement?

Where is it made?

Party On,

Newton

michael levi

@m-l

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll source out a hole punch soon. The Coghlan’s tablets are actually way cheaper ($2 for 24 compared to $6 for 12)than Esbit so I use them. When I need a small shot of coffee in the morning 1 should be fine. Then If I need to rehydrate a dinner with 16 ounces+ then 2 tabs will probably work better/ faster.

I actually used to use a canister before this idea, and so far I really like the lightness and simplicity. This new setup is about 1/4.5th the weight loaded with fuel for a few days!

Rodney Davis
    BPL Member

@ramrod

Locale: North Carolina

John,
    I put mine in a vise to keep it steady. It has an adjustable guide to help keep holes at set depth.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Thanks Rodney

Party On,

Newton

michael levi

@m-l

Does anyone know if its possible to join the two ends of the windscreen with a weld from a wire feed welder?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Michael,
    Where did you get the carbon for the lid, and how does it hold up to the heat?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Yes, spot welding of Ti is possible. I have been doing it for a number of years with my (MYOG of course) welder. Takes a little practice, so start on some scraps.

Cheers

michael levi

@m-l

I got it from someone who made it actually, in his shop, and he just happened to have some extra. The carbon holds up well, and does a good job of holding the steam in. Due to how it rests on the top it is also very stable.

Roger, I did indeed try to spot weld first with some scraps, and it just seemed to blast right though both layers of Ti with just a single spark.

I will probably try it again soon.

Overall I am very pleased with the boil times, but what makes me more happy is the trail weight of this. I can grab this kit and a few solid fuel tabs that will last 3 days and be at about 5 ounces max.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Michael

> spot weld first with some scraps, and it just seemed to blast right though both
    > layers of Ti with just a single spark.
    Very useful, those scraps!

Sounds to me as though you have the spot welder turned up to full power and it is far too much for the thin Ti sheet. What sort of welder is it? A large commercial job? There should be a control knob somewhere, like on an arc welder, to regulate the current. Turn it down.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Michael

> spot weld first with some scraps, and it just seemed to blast right though both
    > layers of Ti with just a single spark.
    Very useful, those scraps!

Sounds to me as though you have the spot welder turned up to full power and it is far too much for the thin Ti sheet. What sort of welder is it? A large commercial job? There should be a control knob somewhere, like on an arc welder, to regulate the current. Turn it down.

Cheers

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For the holes, find a three hole punch and remove one of the punches (one screw). This now single punch will only slide onto the metal by about 1/2", so you can easily get the holes a consistent distance from the bottom without needing a vice. The only measuring needed is to space them out around the circumference.

This single punch can be activated with a hammer (one easy tap does it), so you get quick clean holes. I've used this lots with ti windscreens and it works really nice and simply.

michael levi

@m-l

I used a regular paper hole punch, it actually worked suprisingly well, once it pierced the titanium. Im still using this setup, I even used it as a wood stove in Hawaii when I ran out of Coghlans tablets.

The thickness of the Ti seems to have good structure, its not too thin.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" Does anyone know if its possible to join the two ends of the windscreen with a weld from a wire feed welder? "

it's too thin for the MIG (wire feed) process.
    what you'd want is a TIG welding unit. and a fairly nicer one at that. the better ones can be turned down lower. u-tube has lots of vids on it.
    it may not worth the expense if you do not have access to TIG equipment, or many many windscreens to make.
    if it is titanium, then your TIG welding will be more complicated. (= $ )

v.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools