Topic

Decisions..decisions. BD firstlight or hilight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Decisions..decisions. BD firstlight or hilight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have been using a Firstlight and a Skylight since they first came out under a wide range of conditions with good results. The Skylight is the original yellow epic fabric and is still going strong after some 200 nights.

My current Firstlight is the new BD fabric but I had many nights in the original one as well. I am still not convinced that the fabric "leaks" but condensation can be an issue and needs to be managed.

I much prefer the layout of the Firstlight over the Highlight for the full screen door, and the fact I can sleep with my head at either end. For me the length has been fine as a single shelter and I am 5'9". Double is doable but a bit cramped in inclement weather. As with any single skinned tent, mangaging condensation is key, along with having enough room to stay away from the walls.

I love the simplicity, small packed size, and wind resistance. I have had no problems with the fabric but I pay more attention when setting up. For me the best way is to stake the tent out and then insert the poles which can be done from outside the tent or while in the tent.

I spent several days pinned down in heavy wet snow and it performed well in the worst conditions for condesation in any tent design. I just had to wipe the walls down occasionally and knock the snow off the canopy. Once the fabric has wetted out and/or is covered by snow, it isn't going to breathe, not even e-vent. For the savings in price and packed size, I like the BD fabric better.

I have used a Bibler Fitzroy in the past and was very impressed with the Toddex fabric but it is quite heavy and bulky but bomber. The Eldorado would be nice but spendy – perhaps a used one? They show up on e-bay from time to time but will most likely be above your $300 limit.

In the end every shelter is a collection of compromises, you just have to pick the ones you are willing to live with.

Gia Le

@giale123

Your feedback and experience with these tents give me more confidence in my future purchase. I should place an order in tomorrow. I'll go with the BD firstlight then! would love to get a better four season tent but hey for the money I don't think I can beat this deal.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

I have a black diamond first light, that i use year round. i am 6'1", and although its not the roomiest, its light weight and works very well, and i can sit up fully in it. most of my camping is in drier climates, this year i've used it for a 4 day trip in zion, a few overnights hiking 14ers, a 4 day trip in canyonlands, and a few winter trips to ouray, bozeman, and a few other places up in the mountains. i have used it with me and my friend who is also 6' without any issues, although you will have to leave your gear outside or pile it between you and your company. i don't mind leaving gear outside of my tent since when i am solo camping in non-snow conditions, i use a gatewood cape with an inner net, which has no room for any gear inside of the net.

I have had zero issues with the tent. it has never misted through when it has rained (although it has never been in any heavy rain), it has stood up to a foot+ of fresh snow, and high winds. as long as you use the rear vent and vent the front door as much as possible (there is some coverage for the first 6" or so if the weather is bad), condensation has been a non issue.

so from my experiences, i would highly recommend the firstlight. however if you want a little more room and don't mind the extra weight, the skylight is a better choice.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"Here is a view of the Nemo Quantum Elite. Not a review, but you can at least see it being (*cough* *cough*) set up! ;-)"

It's also not the Quantum.

Gia Le

@giale123

perfect review! I do not intend to put it through rain if the tent fabric is precarious in those elements. Although it is an unnerving buy, most of my trips are in snow or windy weather, as long as i can avoid heavy rains this seems to be the best buy! did you seam seal yours as well? What product would you recommend for that if so?
    I can't wait to demo it out myself!! :DD

David Ure

@familyguy

Nice catch, Rakesh!

David Ure

@familyguy

Trying to avoid the weather is probably not going to happen. If you get any wet snow piled up on the sides, a low hydrostatic head will mean that the fabric will leak. These shelters are ideal for the drier high altitudes of the mountains. There are much better all purpose 4 season shelters available. Regardless of your spending limit, why purchase an inferior product for your intended use? Where do you plan on using the BD's?

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Thanks… it was the weight mentioned in the video that made me catch it. I recalled that the Quantum Elite wasn't much heavier than a Twin Sisters, which is really why I've been eyeing that particular tent and hoping for some reviews of it. The Twin Sisters is going to be a bit tough to beat though, since it's pretty spacious for 24 oz, costs under $200, and and is so easy to pitch that you'd think it was a Henry Shires product.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

It's also not the Quantum".

Actually I knew that, but was too lazy to fix what I wrote. But it's similar enough.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The title of the video "Nemo Nano Elite" was also a bit of a clue.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Gia, for winter camping in NoGa (i.e. good possibility of mixed rain/snow, no bugs) I think the Megalight and a tyvek groundsheet would be better all around. More room, cheaper, lighter, better performance.

The Firstlight (et al) is a true winter shelter, which is to say it's best suited for conditions where it's cold enough that rain is simply not on the radar. That it includes bug netting is a bit disingenuous, in fact.

I had a first generation (circa 2004) Firstlight. With seam sealing it stayed waterproof under some nasty conditions for a while (~5 years), then on one trip (when my wife and a friend were staying in it while I was out under a tarp) with mixed rain/snow at 9k in the Absarokas it leaked/misted/dripped quite badly. This was partly fixed by washing it (dirt had killed the DWR on the Epic fabric), and it was still great for deep winter (pitch it, stake the corners with skis, done).

Anonymous
    Inactive

If your 5'6" a Highlite will be fine. I have the older model, am 6' tall, and angled I am fine. For me it is as waterproof or water resistant as 3 different seam sealed tarptents I have used and owned( TT Rainbow, Contrail, and currently GG the One). I actually use it from time to time in the humid and moist SE USA. I have been in moderate all night rain without a problem.It is an extremely warm tent in cold conditions, vents well.. Make sure you seam seal it, BD leaves that to the purchaser..Easy to put up once you set it up a time or two..

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

When I clicked on the link on my iPad, it took me directly to the video so I didn't see the title until I went back and looked for it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"title"
    I was just being smart, most look at the titles/credits but don't actually read them.

As for sleeping sideways inside the Firstlight, that maybe fine for one not so much for two…

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools