Topic

610 Pack Replica

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 610 Pack Replica

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Finally decided to do it, my first make your own pack. After quite a bit of searching, deciding, made up mind, changing mind etc., I came across Dave Cā€™s 610 pack, and decided to closely replicate it (with a tip of a cap to him).
    I find that pockets on packs are like stuff sacks, the more you have the more ā€œstuffā€ you carry. Stripped down including 1.5ā€ nylon hipbelt, sternum strap, frame sheet itā€™s 21.7oz. With the removable pocket (1.82 oz) itā€™s a total of 23.52oz. I still have to cut a few straps here and there, so my target is 23.5oz. which Iā€™m happy with.
    For my first pack Iā€™m pretty happy with it, shoulder straps were the most difficult to find the right angles and attachment points with both at rest and when in use with the load lifters (although they arenā€™t really necessary).
    The removable pocket attachment was very similar to Chris Piechelā€™s DX40 pack, which allows for a clean finish with things not hanging everywhere, which I like. I prefer to stay off trail as much as possible so this is a nice feature. I haven't tested the volume exact but guessing around 30L. Let me know if there are any questions, thanks for looking.
    photo 1 photo 3 photo 2 photo 4 Pack (2) Pack (1)

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Hey Jon, nice job on the pack it looks great! Is that VX21 for the main body? Congrats on your first pack build, job well done!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Jon,
    Nice pack!! To me just looking at it it about 36 liters and can carry about 45 liters with roll top fully packed. You did a great job on your Xpac pack I like the modular designed type pack should last you awhile.
    Terry

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Thanks for the kind words! It was a lot of fun, and see a few more packs in the near future.

@Chris
    – Main Pack is VX21 from Rockywoods. I modeled the straps off your design with a bit of variation. I held it close to 3" width with grosgrain, however the jaw depth (if that's what it's called?) of my pressure foot is 5/16" and I picked up some 3/8" foam with 4mm mesh (what you see in the photo), and unfortunately it doesn't fit. I do have access to an old Pfaff machine with 3/8" jaw which will help make short work if sewing the webbing for sternum strap/loadlifters. I'm using the singer 4423 Heavy Duty which is a nice machine but lacks that varying depth.

@Terry
    – Thank you as well, the pack is approx. 30.5" tall along back, 8.5" deep and 6.6" front, with the curved front. I do have access at work to measure volume with shipping peanuts and a box. I'll have to give that a go. I like how stupidly simple the design is, a fun one to make. Learning order of operations for sewing the back panel (when there's a pocket for frame sheet) was a learning curve to hide seams. It's safe to say my seam ripper and I became good friends.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

Great job on your first pack…I made 4 before I was happy enough to keep it!

Could you explain how exactly the removable pocket attaches?

Thanks,
    Adie

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

@Adie

It's a bit difficult to explain in words, I'll attach a photo that hopefully makes sense, I just keep my webbing strap 16" long then trimmed after I knew how long wanted to run through the different hardware. The green line is the strap, and you can follow it through the (2) ladderlocs and (1) triglide. Let me know if this doesn't make sense. I like the finished clean look.

102_3239

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Hey Jon,
    1st, that's a really slick pack– especially for a first go! I really appreciate the clean lines and minimal design. Also, and you may have addressed this in an earlier post, but I wasn't sure: are your shoulder straps simply 2 layers of 3D mesh, or did you find a thinner foam to sandwich between? in that same vein, have you done any load testing in regards to comfort, weight distribution/balance, et al?

Again, fantastic work.

Best

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Great pack Jon, happy to help out a fellow Buckeye (I grew up in Oxford).

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jon,

I have the same question as Clint but regarding the waist belt instead of the shoulder straps.

What mesh and edging did you use on the belt?

Daryl

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

@clint – thank you for the compliment. It was a great first project, it challenges your patience. The shoulder straps are (2) layers do mesh with binding edges and xpac inner. I have provisions for 3/8" thick padded straps that Chris Zimmerman shows on his site, I just need a machine with 3/8" pressure foot jaw (I have access to one, justhaventgotten there yet.

@Dave
    – thanks again for your help, as well as ideas. Also didn't know you were a Buckeye (or Redhawk being Oxford). Why on earth would you leave Ohio for Montana if you like the outdoors? :)

@Daryl
    – right now single nylon hit belt, with provisions for padded hip belt/pocket combo idea.

I typically carry up to 3 liters of water pending some dry spots where I hike. My pack with food and water is ~21 lbs and it carries just fine. It's funny I've never had a perfect torso fit, just manufacturers fit, makes carrying a pack just more efficient when fitted properly. For me it feels plenty comfortable, but I've only put ~7 mikes on it testing it out.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Great work Jon! I'm sure it will work well for you.

Where did you buy the straps? I have been looking for a good source for colored webbing. Is it from strapworks? What thickness are they?

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Hi Michael,

Thank you, I got 30' (they are in feet) shipped to door for $13.76, it's a little more expensive than just black, but to give it some color I thought it was worth it. They have many colors to choose from, my packraft is yellow, and I plan to use it also to carry the raft, paddles, PFD, pull over and rain coat. I figured mine as well match it right? Ordered yellow 3/4" thick.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

I love the minimalist design. The colors are cool too.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thank you.

But as far as thickness I am more interested in thickness (.04", .05", ect.) as opposed to width.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Hi Michael,
    At time of photo it was poly webbing, but it's now nylon 0.070" thick from strap works.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

thanks for the response.

so the idea is you can still adjust the side compression while the pocket is on? thats slick.

Edit: so what is the triglide there for?

steve m

@smulvaney

Locale: pdx

Great job on the pack!
    Can somebody comment on using a drawstring closure with the vx-21? I put vx21 side pockets on one of my packs with adjustable shock-corded closures, the material doesn't 'gather' well due to stiffness. Is this an issue at all with the top of a pack like yours?
    Thanks,
    Steve

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

You'll want to make the sleeve for the drawcord out of sil or something comparable. I presume that's the black fabric visible.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

That is correct, 1.9oz. sil was what I used.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools