Topic

Shining Rock Wilderness – Sept 28

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shining Rock Wilderness – Sept 28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I'm doing a quick over nightwear this weekend (Saturday Sept 28) to the Shining Rock area of NC. There is a chance or rain. We will be camping at elevations between 5,000 -6,000'. Probably Black Balsam to Cold Mountain area. A few questions.

1. Are the bugs still out? I'll be using my Trailstar and would like to leave my bivy at home.
    2. Should I take my bivy? Or will I be ok in the TS in the rain without a bivy?
    3. What are the realistic low temps at that altitude for this weekend?
    4. How are the water sources?

Thanks,

Andy

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I wouldn't take anything for bugs. Only ones I've ever seen there were limited black flies @ end of May.. yep …weird…black flies. First time I'd met them, I didn't know they even occurred in NC; and the bite/welts itch and ooze and last a LONG time.

Trailstar: depends of course on extreme weather. I've been several times in all seasons w/ a tarp.

Lots of water often from the top spring/source so often doesn't even need treating.

Weather: Check this: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.37667130242719&lon=-82.8694615661621

Happy Trails!

Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Locale: Southeast mountains

I'm envious, love that area. Not many bugs but lots of people. The trailstar should be fine, just pick a good spot to pitch it, it will probably be windy especially at the gaps. There isn't alot of water if you hike the Art Loeb, as most of the seeps and springs are lower down. There is good water just off the trail just before shining rock. Look for low temps to be in the 40's, perhaps even low 40's depending on the elevation you camp at.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I haven't been out there in several months, but I live fairly close. The gnats are insane right now at dawn. We had morning temps at 42 F earlier this week and that's at 2100 ft but it's warmed back up some. Even still, temps in the 30s isn't out of the question. Water availability varies a lot, but we had a wet spring and summer so I'd expect it to be fair. Shining Rock is one of my favorite areas in WNC. Enjoy your trip!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

If I were packing, the most I would take for bugs would be a headnet.
    I don't think a bivy is necessary. I use a trailstar too. I gives great rain protection and I really don't think bugs will be an issue. If there are any bugs, you'll hopefully have a headnet and possibly a little bug dope.
    I would think it could get down to the mid 30's, but more likely quite a bit warmer. Look at the weather report.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools