Topic

Lightweight shelters with floors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight shelters with floors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christian Loew

@blindspot

Im new to backpacking and UL backpacking.

I have been trying to do a lot of research, reading, trying to figure out what gear to purchase….man is there a lot out there. How do oyu keep it all straight??

Anyhow, my question is about floored vs floorless shelters.

Personally I would want a floored shelter…fully enclosed? So I've been looking at Tarptent and I know you can order them with a floor, is that fully enclosed then, or just a floor sheet? Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Unless something changed very recently, the Tarptent "inners" that have a floor will also include netting, or a combination of netting with sidewalls(that can be ordered instead of all netting).
    I recently bought the TT Notch with full netting for use in the summer. I got a cuben "Solo" floor from Zpacks.com for when it's colder, and bugs aren't an issue:
    http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/cuben_groundsheet.shtml

Pic:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img19/2113/img01354201207130931.jpg

I'm not familiar with everything out there, but these are silnylon, so they weigh more, but cost less:
    http://www.bearpawwd.com/shelters_floors/bathtub_floor.html

Edit 1/22/14: testing the edit function on an old post…
    9ylv.jpg

9jqw.jpg

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm pretty sure that Tarptent doesn't make any tents now that don't have floors sewed in them. Unless it's a tent with a separate inner.

Christian Loew

@blindspot

Great info, thanks. I was a little confused between "Mesh" or "Solid" at the TT Checkout, I also was looking at the Notch, but may get a 2-person and make my son go hike with me :)

So the one you have (Just to clarify) has a netting floor, or mesh floor, then you use a separate ZPacks floor when it gets cold to place on top of that?

Sorry I'm such a noob :P

Thanks again for the help! This will be question 1 of many many more to come haha

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

It's a solid floor. The sides are all mesh. The other option is a solid floor with side panels that come part of the way up(topped by netting) to block wind, wind-driven snow, rain, dust, etc.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Also note that there is a company "Tarptent" which makes shelters of the "tarptent" genre. The tarptent genre of shelter might include similar shelters by other companies besides the company "Tarptent".
    But "Tarptent" does make some of the best "tarptents" around.

In any case, most of the tents and shaped tarps that don't have floors in them can accept inner bug-net tents with full floors that will do the necessary task.
    So, your choices are pretty wide open.

And by most reports, the owners of tarptents by the Tarptent company seem to be very satisfied with them, and they have a very good reputation.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

You've got fully sewn-in floors, floating floors (usually connected to the tent walls/body by mosquito netting or elastic "straps", and then bathtub floors, like the fully sewn-in floors but noticeably deeper, from 3-8". Lots of great fully enclosed UL shelters. Used, Gossamer Gear's The One is around 19 oz., Six Moon Designs has the Skyscape line of tents, the Scout is 34 oz., the Trekker is 24 oz., and the cuben fiber X is 15 oz., probably the lightest fully enclosed shelter (with a proper floor) in the world. I have the Sixmoon Designs Trekker and its 23.5 oz. in a stuff sack after seam sealing, so there weights at SMD are conservative. Also, Zpacks and Mountain Laurel Designs. Zpacks sells "Hexamid" shelters that are full enclosed with a screen door and floor and a separate bathtub style floor, – probably around a pound, though 8-10 oz. for one fully enclosed and a piece of plastic as your groundsheet should work fine. Mountainlaurel designs sells two-piece pyramid tents that are exceptionally well reviewed. Look at the Duo-mid. You could get one with an inner and then work your way up to tarping by taking out the net when you have nice weather and no bugs.

Christian Loew

@blindspot

EXCELLENT help guys, thanks so much!

That really clears up a lot for me…I was getting worried about having to sleep on the ground *phew*

I loathe bugs….hope I can still be a hiker :P

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools