Topic

Pack Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick Badyrka

@oldcrank

Locale: Northwest

I am starting to plan a month long section hike of the PCT next summer. I know it is a long way out, but I like to sit and ruminate on plans while watching video's in the evening. Anyway, a couple of years ago I used a GG Vapor Trail on the JMT and even though I only carried a max of seven days worth of food, when it was loaded up to around 30 lbs after the resupply it was really uncomfortable. When it was below 20, it was very comfortable. This last summer on a trip around the Wonderland trail I reduced my base weight and used a Arcteryx Axios 50, much more comfortable, even though I carried all the food and group gear. It was my wife's first backpack and when you are in your mid-fifties and have a few health issues, your partner carries everything. She really loved it and now wants to section hike the PCT, so we are going to start with the Oregon section next August. I most likely will have to carry all the group gear again and would like to lighten up, but carrying 10 man days of food and on some long waterless sections up to 6 liters of water means a pretty heavy pack. What would you suggest I look at? ULA Airx? ULA Circuit? MLD EXODUS FS : Full Suspension? Others???

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I kind of alternate between a ULA Circuit, and a Gossamer Gear Mariposa/Gorilla, depending on load and terrain. ULA carries better when overloaded, IMO.

Both made in the USA, what more could you want?

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Along with the ULA packs, I would recommend checking out the Elemental Horizons Aquilo. It got the "highly recommended" rating from one of the reviewers here. If you're needing a bit more space, it might be the pack for you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools