Topic

Wilderness First Aid class?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Wilderness First Aid class?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

Has anyone done this class with REI/Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS ?

Is it worthwhile?

Thanks,

rhz

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

WFA is very worthwhile as a certification.

If you'll be leading groups, WFR is great.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

WMI of NOLS is the best place to learn wilderness medicine. I'm taking a WFR course with them this coming spring. I would say WFA is definitely worth it, a bit of money and time in exchange for so much. Leading group trips, piece of mind for your family when you are in the backcountry, potentially saving your or a friend's life…

Logan Bowling
    Spectator

@bowlingl25

Locale: Almost Heaven

I have not personally taken the classes but have worked with a number of different people who have. The course is quite costly and is somewhere between 5-9 days long, but in my opinion well worth it if you work in the outdoor industry or take a lot of personal trips. I plan on taking this course within the next year or so.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Yes, I've taken the NOLS class and I agree, it's very much worth it. I took the mini cards and laminated them and they stay in my FAK…I had to use them this weekend on the trail.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

I was referring to the two day course:

http://www.rei.com/class/5638/market/160/11232012

Thanks

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

That's the Wilderness First Aid course (WFA for short). You really don't need the longer Wilderness First Responder course some of the posts mention unless you expect to lead groups. WFR might be nice to have, but it involves a considerably bigger commitment of time and money and (because there are fewer courses offered) travel.

WFA is an intense 16 hours and well worth the time and money. While the classes are pretty standardized, I'd still recommend NOLS above all others. REI started partnering with NOLS a couple of years ago to offer these classes at REI stores throughout the country, and IMHO it's one of the best things they've ever done.

The most important component of a backpacker's first aid kit, IMHO, is between his/her ears, and this class will give you the knowledge you need.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

In addition to teaching a few thousand standard first aid and CPR students, I taught a few 50-hour Wilderness Advanced First Aid classes through the Berkeley Red Cross. It carried their standard Advanced First Aid certification but we were clear we were making it harder so it self-selected for the ski patrollers, Scoutmasters, and aspiring round-the-world sailors who wanted the best prep they could get for cheap.

Like any course, it hinges hugely on who the instructors are and how well they teach. From afar, the quickest assessment I would suggest is to look at the schedule and the more practical sessions they have scheduled, the better. Better yet, are practical half-day sessions where they bring in volunteers in make-up and with a script that you have assess and treat cold turkey.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools