Topic

Exped UL Synmat 7 vs. Exped UL Downmat 7 vs Thermarest Neoair All Season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped UL Synmat 7 vs. Exped UL Downmat 7 vs Thermarest Neoair All Season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bradford Rogers
    BPL Member

@beroger0

Exped UL Synmat 7 vs. Exped UL Downmat 7 vs Thermarest Neoair All Season for using with a two person quilt (hence why the mummy shaped XTherm wouldnt work well). I would say this would need to be good for ~25* F.

What about mixing and matching?

Does the Downmat's listed weight include the pump it requires?

Would the vertical tubes or the horizontal tubes be better for mating two pads?

Are the Neoairs really that warm without any real insulation?

Other opinions?

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Personally, I find the neoair very loud and crunchy sounding, therefore, I'm a fan of the Exped line. The downmat is great if you will be in colder than 20 degree temps, but the synmat is fine for anything else. Just slept on the synmat last night in the low 30s and I was toasty warm (and I'm a cold sleeper!).

You can buy the synmat from REI, test it out, and if it's not warm enough, exchange for the downmat. The synmat has the advantage of being lighter.

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

I'm very happy with my XS UL Downmat. Super warm. Fills the gap well between a neoair and colder weather. The syn mat is nice too but I sold my regular length for the torso length UL downmat.

My XS UL Downmat (48×20") is 412grams. the shnozzle pump sack thingy is 68g and a great dual purpose pack liner / mat pump.

Bob Salcedo

@baughb

Locale: So Cal.

Loving my full length UL Synmat7. The schnozzle and bag combo make filling the mat up a breeze and I pack my sleep system in the Exped bag that attaches. Kinda pricy but I waited for sales and coupons.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have owned and slept on all three and prefer the UL Downmat for it's warmth and comfort. The synmat UL7 just wasn't warm enough below freezing and the All Season was a bit loud but more of a problem for me was that it bucks you off as you approach the edge. I really wanted love the All Season for it's stout fabric and long length but the narrow feel of the pad is what left me wanting more.

With the Exped I stay on the pad, along with my arms staying on the pad, and I love the fast fill with the schnozzle pump bag. Mine reg came in at 19.5oz without the pump bag which adds another 1.7oz.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Just chiming in to agree with the many positive comments on this pad. I also use the schnozzle bag as a pack liner/sleep system bag. Below freezing, the Downmat shines, but for three season, the UL 7 is all you need.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I'd agree that the SynMat UL7 is ideal for temps to about freezing. It can be supplemented as needed with a 1/8" pad (eg Gossamer Gear's Thinlight pad) to wring out a few more degrees of warmth for the occasional shoulder season trip. However if your intended use is higher in shoulder seasons, then the DownMat UL7 is worth a careful look. "Three season" requirements here in Colorado are very different than in Southern California. My SynMat UL7 gets used on its own from mid-May to mid-September, barely more than a single season. I'm now looking at a DownMat UL7 for use at higher elevations for the rest of the year.

David Ure

@familyguy

Just used my Synmat UL7 to -2C and was warm. No cold spots. In fact, I was too warm with my FF Swift.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Stuart says: " "Three season" requirements here in Colorado are very different than in Southern California."

Very true! ;)

David Ure

@familyguy

I should have clarified. This was @ 7000 feet in the Canadian Rocky Mountains (Jasper). 27C during the day, -2C in the evening. No snow, howevr.

Bradford Rogers
    BPL Member

@beroger0

OK, so it seems the Exped line is the favored line. Has anyone put two of them together? Do the larger side tubes keep them from making one 40" wide "bed"? I had one of the old Downmats and it was very warm, but sold it because it was so heavy.

Thank you for the weight John, that is just what I am looking for.

Now between the UL Synmat and the UL Downmat…….I would like to be good down to at least 20*F so the downmat may be the choice, but the synmat is cheaper and lighter.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have both the Down mat and Syn Mat UL, if I had to keep one it would be the Down mat.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I've put two Synmats side by side without problems. (IMO the side tubes are not as large as one might expect; their effect is more subtle.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools