Topic

MEC Degree Down Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MEC Degree Down Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I was at my local Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) store today and tried on one of their new Degree Down Jackets.

I was very impressed with the feel and weight, so I went home and looked up the technical details and this thing still looks very good! From their Question and Answer section, they list the fill weight at 237 grams of insulation (> 8 oz.). Being pessimistic, I deducted the weight of the polarTec zipper flap (which might be included in the insulation total… I don't actually know) and it still comes in at more than 170 grams (6 oz.) of 800 fill, DWR treated down.

The outer fabric is 20 denier nylon and a size small lists as weighing about 564 grams (20 ozs.). This jacket doesn't have a hood (which is a plus for me… I don't like hoods on down layers), so the weight of the fill is distributed in just the body. I also like the fact that they included some inside pockets.

So my Question is… has anybody tried one of these? Any comments good or bad would be appreciated.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/InsulatedOuterwear/Down/PRD~5025-757/mec-degree-jacket-mens.jsp

samuel smillie

@sam_smillie

Locale: central canada

Yeah I've noticed this jacket as well. Looks like a good compromise between lighter weight (sub 6 ounce fill) jackets and full on-expedition parkas that come with increased denier fabrics and lower down/total weight ratios. I would definitely have to sell a jacket or too before I could justify buying this but as a head's up –> It's on SALE!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools