Topic

Undecided Grand Canyon trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Undecided Grand Canyon trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kevin winn

@kevin314gmail-com

Undecided Grand Canyon trip

Last thanksgiving I did any over night trip down south Kaibab and up Bright angel. I have some spear time in December and plan on doing a two or three night trip, solo.

I have been interested in tanner trail, but after reading some trip reports it seems alittle advanced for me. I would be interest in other input and suggestion on a trip.

I have been backpacking for a couple of years, but always on a well-marked trail. I would like to hike less then 12 miles per day. My main interest in tanner trail is the pictures of that area are incredible.

Thanks for the input,
    Kevin

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hi Kevin,

Hermit Trail might be a good next step. It offers more solitude than Kaibab/Bright Angel, but is well-marked.

It has a South Rim start, not far from Kaibab/Bright Angel.

Day 1 – Hermit Trail down to Hermit Camp
    Day 2 – explore down to river; rest up. Another night at Hermit Camp
    Day 3 – Hermit Trail back to start

If you were more advanced I would recommend the Hermit/Tonto/Boucher loop. But I specifically remember Boucher as rugged in a couple of places, and a critical intersection (Tonto/Boucher) was completely unsigned.

– Elizabeth

Will Webster

@willweb

My wife and I went down Hermit and up Bright Angel for our first GC backpack a couple years ago. The Tonto Platform is incredible.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

If you had a few more days I'd add Bright Angel CG/Phantom Ranch Tecate's to Will's itinerary ..

kevin winn

@kevin314gmail-com

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill look in to hermit, Im thinking of adding a extra day and come out bright angel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools