Topic

2 oz aluminum mug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 oz aluminum mug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Found this aluminum mug at a flea market today where people import cheap crap from China and sell it. Guy has a whole box of them.

2.07 oz, 22oz capacity, 10cm mug.

Lighter than the IMUSA mug by 1/2 oz, and no rivets to leak either on handle, tack welded on.

Looks like a winner for a solo pot. Cheap too, extremely cheap.mug

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

my bad. It appears this 2.07 oz mug, is stainless steel, not aluminum.

Even better.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Those are available in San Francisco's Chinatown and some of the stores in other parts of the city for about $2.00. There are a couple of different sizes and they come with lids. I used one as my backpacking mug for a while but eventually switched to a 12-ounce cold drink cup from Starbucks. The steel mug wasn't bad but hot drinks cooled off too quickly and the handle made packing it awkward. The Starbucks cups are made of polypropylene (number 5) plastic so they work just fine with boiling water. (I mean I boil the water in a separate pot, of course!)

I had the thought that the steel mug would make a good pot, but I didn't use it that way because I tend to boil more water than it would hold. I usually make a meal and a hot drink, then use the remaining few ounces of boiled water to wash up and take care of my contact lenses.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Odd though that stainless steel is weighing less than aluminum in that size mug. It must be thin walled. The IMUSA 10 cm mug is about 2.4 oz. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools