Topic

Steripen Owners, Step on in!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Steripen Owners, Step on in!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

So, I'm thinking about getting a Steripen. But I have a few very minor concerns. When reading about the Steripen, it says "STep Two: place in clear water." My question – Does it matter if the water is clear or will it work in murky water.

Second, does it kill the cysts that the Katadyn tablets supposedly take 4 hours to kill?

Thanks much for any insight you all may provide!

Casey

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

from the manufacturer's web site:

http://www.hydro-photon.com/proven_in_lab.html

They sell a pre-filter to obtain clear water.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Love my Adventurer!

As for your first question, YES, you need mostly clear water for UV to work.

As for cysts, there are more intelligent folks than I around here that can give a more complete answer than I can. Basically, though, UV, when used "as directed" really does wipe out most all the nasties.

Good Luck,
    Todd

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I asked on another thread, but how do you treat the threads of the container used to collect the water? With chemical treatment you pour some freshly treated water into the cap and dump it over the threads. I don't see how you can do this with a Steripen. The review of this item really jazzed me but I can't get past this one point.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

James,

Here's how I address your issue, since I,too, share your concern:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/6585/index.html
    My post is the 4th one down.

It works well and avoids the risk, IMO.

Take care,
    Todd

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

thanks! i missed that thread. sounds like this is a valid concern but one that can be overcome with good/creative process.

John Garberson

@montana

Relying on my reading retention here…YMMV :)

Massive reproduction of the nasties, which leads to massive numbers of the bugs inside your bod, is what causes all the bad symptoms. It's also why giardia, for example, shows up days or weeks after drinking the bad water. I think the theory behind UV treatment is that the radiation disrupts the genetic material of the nasties and prevents them from multiplying…technically, they're not dead (yet). UV treatment is effective because the radiation can penetrate the cyst's shell and do its damage.

It may not be a good or accurate comparison but it's sort of like live vaccines…just a few bugs introduced into the body don't get a chance to reproduce to cause the disease before the body takes care of 'em.

john

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools