Topic

Dumb jmt hanta virus question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dumb jmt hanta virus question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    john devine
    BPL Member

@alpenglow2

Locale: East Coast

Just completed the jmt and I had an incident at guitar lake scare me. I accidentally left some nuts in a Baggie and snicker in my down jacket by mistake and went to bed early to hike Whitney. I heard rustling in the night, but it was really windy and I thought I was hearing things. Anyways I ate some of the nuts on the hike up when I realized there was a hole in the bag. Now I am panicked.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I am no physician, but here is my take on it.

The recent hantavirus problem in Yosemite was only where people were sleeping in very near proximity to where deer mice were apparently nesting (in the flexible walls of a tent cabin). The proximity issue is because the virus spreads through infected fe_ces and urine dust that is inhaled by the unsuspecting humans, and the virus infects the lungs.

So, when it comes to a virus like this, almost anything is technically possible, but it is sort of unlikely. As long as you don't get any symptoms, don't sweat it. If by some weird chance you did get symptoms, then doubletime to the doctor and explain it.

More likely is that the mouse dies from excess sugar and salt from the nuts it ate.

–B.G.–

john devine
    BPL Member

@alpenglow2

Locale: East Coast

Is you can get it from saliva. Could it have been a chipmunk or something other than a mouse

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Like I said, there are all sorts of weird scenarios with a virus. However, the hantavirus is supposed to be inhaled as dust. I'm not exactly sure how you would inhale saliva.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Hopefully it's nothing John. Don't hesitate to visit the doctor. This has me rethinking hammocks. I never sleep near my food, but that doesn't help with impacted sites.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask! However, most of us here aren't physicians.

Checking in with your physician might be a good idea, for your own comfort as much as anything else. At least he will be prepared with some research done ahead of time if you do get sick. Certainly go in immediately if you have any illness symptoms! (Of course if you're like me, you may get sick just thinking about it, but that's normal, and one of the reasons I suggest a preventive visit.)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Google is your friend. Though you might not like the info you find….

From the CDC website:

The rodents shed the virus in their urine, droppings, and saliva. The virus is mainly transmitted to people when they breathe in air contaminated with the virus.

When fresh rodent urine, droppings, or nesting materials are stirred up, tiny droplets containing the virus get into the air. This process is known as "airborne transmission".

There are several other ways rodents may spread hantavirus to people:

If a rodent with the virus bites someone, the virus may be spread to that person, but this type of transmission is rare. Researchers believe that people may be able to get the virus if they touch something that has been contaminated with rodent urine, droppings, or saliva, and then touch their nose or mouth. Researchers also suspect people can become sick if they eat food contaminated by urine, droppings, or saliva from an infected rodent.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools