Topic

Mount St Helens w/o Permit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mount St Helens w/o Permit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Jennings
    BPL Member

@breaktheshoal

Locale: West of the Mississippi

Has anyone done it?

I'm currently on the waiting list for a permit, but apparently there is someone in front of me and the woman at the Lone Fir Resort didn't sound too optimistic. Normally I wouldn't break the rules but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to do it again. I've read on other forums that the fine can range from $100 to $500, but I haven't come across anyone that found out the hard way. Anyone know which it is? I'd pay $100 to do it, but $500? Might have to show off my 400m skills from high school.

I was thinking of hitting the trailhead around midnight so that I could grab some good shots of sunrise from the top before stealthily making my way back down to the 4800-feet level soon thereafter. Never been so tips are welcome.

Not asking anyone to aid in any criminal behavior here, just looking for more facts to weigh my options.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You don't need one after Oct 31

Try posting at portlandhikers.org

Andrew Jennings
    BPL Member

@breaktheshoal

Locale: West of the Mississippi

I lucked out and was able to score a permit off the Lone Fir Resort wait list, but I thought I would close the loop here and let anyone else who was thinking of rolling the dice and going up Mount Saint Helens sans permit:

$100 minimum fine

Never ran into a ranger but I was on the trail by 3:15, at the top by 6:30 and down before noon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools