Topic

Looking for a LW Fleece Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a LW Fleece Vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Hello,
    I am looking for a very basic fleece vest for Spring hiking. I have seen patagonia and some other offerings but they are all around 10 ounces and I am looking for somthing not as warm and lighter. Any idea's?

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Why look to fleece when you could buy a Montbell Thermwrap vest and be warmer and lighter. Not to mention how much smaller it packs up. And yes it is more expsensive but it is not much more than premium fleece wear. Check it out at:
    https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2002&hinban=2301225

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

While I love the synthetic vests/jackets from Montbell and Patagonia, I find that for me they are too hot for hiking in all but very cold weather. While I don't carry fleece very often anymore, I do feel that it is more comfortable for wearing while hiking (I love the Patagonia R1 and R2). High loft insulation rocks for breaks and around camp, but it is simply too hot and doesn't breathe like high-quality fleece. Maybe it would work for others, but I get too hot (even with appropriate venting).

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I'm a big fan of Patagonia's Capilene, for the reasons you mentioned (warm, but not too warm). It looks like they carry a tank top and t-shirt in a Capilene 2 (their fleece goes from 1-4 now, I think it used to go silkweight, lightweight, midweight and expedition). I'm pretty sure they carry this at REI (I was just there the other day).

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Jonathan,
    Lighter than 10 ounces? Montbell Thermawrap's exceloft has a good warmth/weight ratio, the vest is 7.2 ounces,
    https://www2.montbell.com/japanese/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2001&hinban=1103181
    montbell thermawrap vest

Or the windvest is 2 ounces.. yes, two ounces. It seems to be a unisexed item since it appears in the mens section, and also appears when filtered for women's wear only.
    https://www2.montbell.com/japanese/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2001&hinban=1103181
    Montbell wind vest

And here are all 13 MB vests to choose from..
    https://www2.montbell.com/japanese/asp/products/Spg_itiran.asp?cat=1803

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Another vest offering from montbell.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I'm with the Thermawrap Vest fans on this one. My Montbell Thermawrap Vest (L) weighs 175g (6.2oz) on my scale. I bought it because I thought it would be usable while hiking and for me it has been. With the zipper, I can dial things in really well, with it undone the vest is hardly even there. I have debated getting an even lighter weight down vest of equal warmth. The Smartwool Shadow Hoody, Patagonia Houdini, and Montbell Thermawrap Vest are my core pieces that I wear year around. When it's really cold, I will use an Ibex Hooded Shak instead of the Shadow, and add another layer over the vest.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Great layering setup you've got there. I guess I'm colder than you but I use a wool-2, Houdini, and the Thermawrap jacket&pants. Fleece, DIAD, or Montbell down are alternates depending on weather. Wish I knew about this versatile setup a year ago.. (newbies, are you reading this?)

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Eric;
    I have been reading numerous posts that refer to this "smartwool shadow hoody". I have been trying to find it listed as a saleable product and have even checked the Smartwool site. Can't find it listed anywhere. Perhaps you or someone else who has purchased this item might indicate where you got it. Thanks in advance
    M

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Smartwool Hoody availability

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Mitchell, unfortunately you are not likely to find a men's version. Smartwool, in their wisdom, decide not to make it anymore. I've sent email to Smartwool, Ibex, and Patagonia extolling the virtues of this type of base layer. It appears to have fallen on deaf ears. Ibex is canceling their Hooded Shak. Get it while you can! Smartwool still makes a women's version of the Shadow Hoody. Ryan J. was man enough to wear the women's version after modifying it to his purposes. Bill F. sewed a hood on his Patagonia Wool 2 sacrificing another Wool 2 to get the fabric. He also asked Patagonia to make a hooded base layer. Icebreaker sells tops with thumb cuff holes that could also be modified with a hood if you like thumb cuff holes like I do. I wrote my review before I knew that Smartwool would no longer carry it. I don't know what I will do when I need another one. My Shadow Hoody and my Hooded Shak are truly outstanding. If I find a piece of clothing that I really, really like it's like a death sentence, it will no longer be made. I can't be that weird, despite what my wife and kids say :). I wish I had better news. Maybe someone else has a source.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Steve, thanks for reminding me of the info you received. I had forget about that. There is hope after all.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Brett, I'm sorry I missed your reply to my post! Thanks for the compliment on my layering setup. It's still a work in progress and you mentioned several additions I'm considering. The Thermawrap Parka and Pants are tops on my list for next fall. I'm probably not any warmer than you, I just rely on my No Sniveller as clothing too.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would second the Montbell Chameece Vest. I had a jacket of the same material and loved it. I found it lighter than my Patagonia R1. It felt cozier than the R1, but wasn't quite as warm when it really cooled down. I would also recommend the Montbell Light Stretch Vest which has very modest insulation under a windproof shell, and side panels made of Chameece. Once again, I don't own the vest, I own the jacket version of this item and love it.

–Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools