Topic

Pole Attachment for “V” shape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pole Attachment for “V” shape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Salcedo

@baughb

Locale: So Cal.

I have a Duo Mid which I love.

I'd like to find a better way to attach my hiking poles together at the handles so the ends extend in a "V" shape to provide a little more wiggle room.

Even a better lashing technique suggestion would be great.

Bob

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Have a look at the Locus Gear DPTE

http://locusgear.com/products/accessories/dpte

Works perfect

Bob Salcedo

@baughb

Looks ideal!! Until I noticed that it's in Japan!! I'll work on translating the page in order to find out the costs. Any American distributors?

Thanks!

Bob

Bob Salcedo

@baughb

I think I'm gonna try to make one.

Thanks for the link, he makes some great stuff!

Bob

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Over at zpacks, or you might even be able to buy the single and it looks like it would fit two.

It's like $3.95 weight .1ozfgf

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Way more than Zpacks, but it will join two poles in a V. Look up the "Pex" tubing discussions on here in relation to Lightheart and SMD tents. It's like PVC tubing, it can be heated and bent and, I would think, will easily do what you are after. That's essentially what the SMD/LH tent spreader bar is, just with a long flat piece in between that's less of a / and move of a _________/.

By the way, the japanese guy's duo mid and hexamid type replicas look nice but are between $500-$600.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I like the design of that (but not the price)- I'm currently using two pole jacks for my Duomid, maybe I can combine my pole jacks w/ the zpacks pieces and come up w/ something like the japanese one???

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I have one of these (and a Locus Gear pyramid). It should be easy enough for most people to make. Aluminum tubing is available online and elsewhere. McMaster Carr is a good source for all kinds of odds and ends.

I modified mine by pressing a plastic bushing into one end of each pole to make a better fit with smaller pole tips.

Jotaro from Locus Gear does speak English and I bet he'd be happy to help you one way or another if you get in touch with him.

Bob Salcedo

@baughb

I'm having fun trying to make something but this weekend, I just lashed the 2 hiking pole handles together at "an angle" and that seemed to work. The area at the peak (MLD Duo Mid) seemed to handle the bulk well although it was not an ultra tight pitch. The small piece of cord is very light…

A friend has some tube bending equipment so we're gonna play around with that for a bit and see what we come up with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools