Topic

New Modular Lightweight Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Modular Lightweight Shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

For the past few months we've been working on and testing a new modular lightweight shelter. We've had a few inquiries about it. Here are the details. More information and photo's will be forthcoming.

http://seekoutside.com/little-bug-out-shelter/

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Here are the details you linked to, (where you've got some cool photos, too):

Little Bug Out Shelter (LBO)

The little bug out shelter is a modular lightweight pyramid / tipi hybrid shelter that is optimized for flexibility, livability and performance. The little bug out can be pitched using a trekking pole, a trekking pole and an adapter or one of our robust carbon fiber poles for optimum performance.

The little bug out shelter can be used with a nest to create a fully enclosed shelter and the nest can be left attached. When used with a nest the shelter can be pitched quickly all at once so the interior of the nest is not exposed to the elements. Dual entrances create a very livable shelter, where depending on sleeping arrangements, one person does not need to crawl over the next to exit or enter the shelter. These dual entrances also allow for terrific ventilation in milder climates. Color coding of panels makes for easy identification and easier pitching. The little bug out is made for those traveling in unknown country with camp on their back, it’s for those that push the last bit of light, it’s for those that camp in a variety of conditions and need to be flexible. The little bug out can be used as a tarp, as a three sided shelter, as a fully enclosed 2 person shelter, as a fully enclosed 4 person shelter and finally segments can be connected with a tarp to create a large shelter capable of sleeping 6. Numerous guy out points maximize interior volume and improve severe weather performance.
    Little Bug Out Segments and weights:

Base Bug Out – This is the main part. Used on it’s own it can be a tarp or 3 sided shelter covering about 43 sq feet. In addition, two can be mated together to create a shelter that is 86 sq feet. Weight 16 ounces.
    Bug Out Vestibule – This creates a fully enclosed 2 person shelter with dual entrances. When used with a base bug out this creates a shelter of 56 sq feet. Weight 8 – 9 ounces.
    Tarp connector – This adds about 40 sq feet. When used with two base bug outs it creates a shelter that is almost 130 sq feet. Weight 9 ounces non zippered, 13 ounces with zipper
    2 Person nest – This works in conjunction with the base bug out and creates a fully enclosed 2 person inner tent. Weight 20 ounce.

Advantages:

Lightweight
    Modular: From lightweight emergency shelter to 6 person capable
    Nest Compatible , nest can be left attached
    Can be pitched quickly in the rain with interior nest protected during pitching
    Use a trekking pole, trekking pole plus extender, or carbon pole with or without trekking adaptation.
    Storm Worthy
    Dual doors for easy in and out

Caveats:

To create a complete enclosed shelter the use of a trekking pole adapter or carbon pole is required. The shelter will pitch partially open with a trekking pole alone
    The nest can be left attached but to quickly be pitched the same way should use the same height pole

David Ure

@familyguy

I like this. Very nice.

So 16oz for the base shelter and another 20oz for the 2 person net tent. Not bad at all. I like how the vestibule space is created! Very usable.

I can't quite see but is there a upper vent?

When are these expected to hit the market and what is pricing?

Thanks,

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Pricing and market time 2 -3 weeks. We need to finish up instructions and finalize pricing. They will be fairly priced IMO

Venting – unlike our other tents there is no built in vent, but for venting you can unzip the top and have a covered vent under the beak portion, so essentially you can create two peak vents that don't have mesh protection. Since most bugs gather at the top to exit, I don't see it as much of an issue and possibly a benefit. FWIW in our larger tents they have mesh under the eyebrow vents, but you can unzip the mesh to get bugs to exit.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks cool Kevin. Will be great to get video and better drawings of floor plans.

Big enough for a wood stove?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Yes it can run it stove, there will be several options depending on how you want to run it.

We will get the other details sorted out and posted in the next few days. Sizing varies on how you pitch it. The sizes listed are for a 5'4" height and fully enclosed. It's a little larger footprint when used with just a trekking pole.

Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

The tent looks really interesting. I'm eagerly awaiting more details.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Yes, and maybe larger pictures…

Wes Kline

@weskline

Locale: Adirondacks

You can click on any of the pics, and a kind of viewer comes up. Clicking on them again will enlarge them.

Looks like a nice tent!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I don't need something of this size for my current kinds of trips, but I'll definitely keep it on the radar.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

The page has been updated with more details, videos and drawings of different configurations. Pricing is also online

Lil' Bug Out Modular Lightweight Shelter

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools