Topic

Never Summer Wilderness Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Never Summer Wilderness Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

the pass

In the muffled silence, I creep toward the clearing. My heart jumps, then settles. No moose. Just a couple of does grazing at the far end of the meadow.

Back on the trail, I ascend in the darkening light. A solo day hiker and two couples come down the path, fleeing the impending rain.

Read my latest trip report at Dondo Outdoors.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Sweet trip report as always Dondo.

I've never been to the NS wilderness. How does the scenery compare to RMNP? The valleys look awesome this time of year. I've seen as many moose this summer as what I ever have out here. I keep telling my hunting buddies that I suspect moose permits will be easier to get as the years pass. Just my guess though.

Moose

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks, Tim. Nice moose shot. The only thing I got on the Never Summer trip was an out-of-focus photo of the moose running away from me on the third morning. But this guy agreed to pose for me the week before in the Tetons.

teton moose

If you like moose you won't be disappointed in the Never Summers. The scenery is a bit different from RMNP. As you can see from the photos, the mountains haven't been carved by glaciers like the peaks on the east side of RMNP. They have a beauty all their own. Also, since moisture coming over the Continental Divide gets trapped by the cloud mountains directly east, the forests are more lush in the Never Summer Wilderness. Especially in Bowen Gulch, you'll find some healthy old-growth forests.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools