Topic

Impetus 1.2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Impetus 1.2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steve C

@smit

Locale: sierra nevada

New 15d coated nylon fabric at DIY Gear Supply. Sounds interesting although the roll width is not yet listed. I've got too much fabric and too many projects to finish to get any right now but I am looking forward to hearing more about it. Somebody buy some and report!!!!

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I received a sample of it, and, unfortunately, I was not really impressed with the waterproofness. i thought it would be a great new fabric, but it failed on my very unscientific hh tester at about 170 mm. This was fabric from owfinc that was also called impetus, and I believe it is the same. If it is not then I apologize.

Steve C

@smit

Sounds like the same stuff, I think it was talked about near the end of this post

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65853&startat=20

I thought it sounded good, sorry to hear your test results.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

It is the same stuff from that link. I was looking forward to it as well. I filled a beer bottle up with 7 inches of water, rubber banded the material over the top and turned it upside down. It was bubbling through badly. I have some cheap noah lamport sil that had no problem in this test.

Edit: It may be worth checking out though. It could have different applications, or I could have just gotten a bad batch.

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

There are three different types of new fabric. DWR, light silicone, and silicone one side PU other side. Anybody get their hands on the other two?

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Mr. Duke

You are wrong. Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics does not carry any of the new 15D Impetus fabrics. You can only get Impetus 15D fabrics from DIY gear supply http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/

Impetus 1.2 is Sil coated on one side, and PU coated on the other side. You can tape/glue the PU side. It has a HH measure of around 1200mm.

Scott is being very honest with the weights of the fabric also. He is calling Impetus 1.2, 1.2oz a square yard, where in reality it is more like 1.05. Same with the other versions. Only makes a difference on large projects :-)

Info on Impetus 1.0 and 1.1, from DIY gear supply:

"Ultralight 15D Micro-Ripstop Nylon. 1.0oz/yd² after coating. 55″ usable width. Heavy Cire coating for excellent DWR and good breathability. Downproof (800fp +).

This ultralight fabric is ideal for quilts, sleeping bags, down gear, hammock overcovers, windshirt, etc. Incredibly soft hand and feel. Impetus has been tested only with 800fp+ down.

"Ultralight 15Dx15D Micro-Ripstop Nylon. 1.1oz/yd² after coating. 59″ usable width. Light Silicone coating for amazing water repellency while still maintaining breathability. Downproof (800fp +)."

This ultralight fabric is ideal for bivy tops, quilts, sleeping bags, down gear, hammock overcovers/undercovers, windshirts, etc. Impetus has been tested only with 800fp+ down."

Steve C

@smit

Josh,
    The 1200 HH sounds much more in line with what I was hoping for when I first read about this fabric in an earlier post by you. I have asked Scott for a sample and will check it out.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I was told that they received some but decided not to carry it. I received a grey-blue fabric called impetus as a sample after requesting the 15×15 waterproof fabric that was listed in the thread about m90 and 8d.

Edit: Found the sample. I took the label off to test it though. The material is a micro ripstop it appears. Grey. No cire finish. It feels like sil. I easily could have gotten the 1.1 though. I would like to see what others think about the material.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Also, I'd like to add that I hope I'm wrong, because I think this would be a great material for a bivy floor and other applications where there is not a heavy load. S Collie, please let me know what you think when you get it. I'll order a sample as well and compare to what I already have.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Impetus 1.0 comes in black and Abbey Stone(light grey)
    Impetus 1.1 comes in Aspen green
    Impetus 1.2 comes in Sedona sage(dark grey)

I'll bite my tongue for now on OWF.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I asked for some samples from diygearsupply. I'll check and see how they compare. It is certainly grey. Darker than the tarptent sil. It is not cire finished. I have a picture of it that I can post later on.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Michael

I just ran your bottle test, no leaks. I stepped up to a bigger tube and did some comparisons to Silnylon, and yeah it is not as water proof as 30D Sil. It is looking closer to 900mm.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I may have just gotten a weird batch, or maybe my rig is applying more pressure. I've used a milk jug as well, I had sil fail on that. I'm looking forward to receiving another sample. As I said, I really hope this stuff works, as it would have some awesome applications.

Paul Nanian

@paulnanian

Lance Marshall posted a great design for a homemade hydrostatic head pressure tester using blood pressure gauge, pump bulb, and commonly available hardware.

Lance's summarized results for head pressures for his tested "silnylon". These kinds of values are typical of most 30d sil nylon.

sample mm
    silnylon firsts 362
    silnylon firsts 298
    silnylon unknown origin 375
    silnylon unknown origin 476
    silnylon unknown origin 349
    silnylon seconds 387
    silnylon seconds 298
    silnylon seconds 286
    silnylon bought in 2004 1543
    silnylon bought in 2004 1607
    2-1/2 oz/yd WPB 1524+
    2.96 oz PU coated ripstop 2400+

Richard Nisley outlines ISO 811 testing standard for waterproof fabric.

Richard's Protocol B Version 1 Procedure and Test Results showing how age affects waterproof fabric from Spring/Summer 2011.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools