Topic

Mashipacong Shelter Overnight Parking on the AT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mashipacong Shelter Overnight Parking on the AT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ron Smith

@gorebullwarming

Hi,

My first post here on BPL, so please excuse me if I'm doing this wrong. My son and I want to backpacking tomorrow on the AT in NJ; we've already covered the AT from the Delaware Water Gap to Sunrise Mountain. But the problem now is that it appears there is no overnight parking in Stokes or High Point State Forests, at least not near the AT.

Does anyone know of overnight parking near the Mashipacong Shelter on the AT? Or overnight parking farther Northeast along the AT?

Thanks.

Vincent Lauricella

@1776sm

Sorry, didn't see this earlier.

How was your hike? We did that section a year or 2 ago and were able to park at High Point SP. There is a large gravel parking lot just down hill from the visitors center that allows overnight parking.

Ron Smith

@gorebullwarming

Thanks Vincent, we will try that parking lot next time. We ended up parking at Culver's Gap. Spent the night at Brinks Road shelter, hiked today to where the AT hits Buttermilk Falls Trail, then returned to Culvers Gap. On the return we mostly used Woods Roads as we were getting tired and pressed for time. Had a great time.

Vincent Lauricella

@1776sm

Ron,

I'm very familier with that section. We like to do that hike as an overnight shakedown for our longer AT Trips (Scouts). Did you read the log at Brinks? There's some crazy stuff in there!

An interesting trip on the AT in NJ is to go from High Point to Wawayanda. The terrain is quite varied. It starts on the mountain at HP, decends through farm fields and pastures, goes through a swamp, up another mountain (Pochuck), through another swamp, and then finishes after accending the switchbacks of Wawayanda Mt. There's safe and legal parking on both ends.

Here's a great site that we use to find parking for our AT trips: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

Regards,
    Vince

Ron Smith

@gorebullwarming

Great tips. Yeah the journal was funny; left by someone called njdudette for people to write in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools