Topic

unltralite knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"So, I made one out of a tiny piece of thin sheet aluminum."

Then Bob bonded it to his front teeth like the Jaws character in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker, so it doesn't even count as pack weight.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You may not address me as Richard Kiel.

–B.G.–

Graeme Esarey
    BPL Member

@graemee

Locale: PNW

Thought I would jump in. Full disclosure I work for Industrial Revolution, and we are the U.S. Distributor for Mora. Most folks don't actually buy directly through us as we are the importer, and sell to other distributors and retailers, but we get to see and use most every kind of Mora that comes into the country, so it's a fun job.

Back to Mora knives: even the small, lighter ones, like our fireknife (with Swedish Firesteel in the handle) are fine for batoning. Bigger knives like the Bushcraft and the Robust are more survival than anything. I have seen people cut down trees up to 8" in diameter with one.

These knives aren't what I would call ultralight (fireknife is 3.4oz incl. firesteel) but they are super functional. As far as an "ultralight" fixed blade from Mora, I like the Eric Frost 120. It is roughly 2 oz., full sized handle, laminated steel blade (wickedly sharp, designed for woodcarving) and a true pleasure to use. Again, not as light as something like the Baledeo, but I don't know of a better knife for the $/oz.

Just my 2 cents, sorry for jumping in!

Matthew Steiger
    Spectator

@txlur

Ah, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with Mora or their tang length or batonability, just that they aren't full.

Tell those Swedish magicians to bring back my 510. Gave my only one away :)

Graeme Esarey
    BPL Member

@graemee

Locale: PNW

The 511 and 546 are still around. You can always grind the finger guard off if you don't need it! (I'll tell them though.)

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

The homemade sharp thing made out of a pencil with a blade attached – I can't escape the suspicion that this thing was borrowed – that this was originally some kind of DIY pole weapon on one of your D&D figures. At least it looks the part. Just a totally Chaffish observation.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

some people envision cutting cheese (not farting, children)
    some people envision cutting wood.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think moras are fine for batoning as long as you resharpen it and give it a slight microbevel or convexity. Those super flat scandi grinds like to fold and chip on you easily.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mik Matra's Gerber is only a wee bit smaller than my Bear Grylls Gerber folder.

I added a lanyard to keep from losing it.

Both Mik's and mine have no metal handle liner, just polymer, and that keeps the weight down a lot.

Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hi guys,

Well, after some time using my Letherman Style I realized that I only used its blade for cutting everything and tweezers (used 3 times to get those cactus prickles out of my hands). Scissors I don't really need because I cut nails at home before my trips.

However I do like those UL smallish tweezers and I want to keep them in my FAK (not sure what is the weight, probably 1-2 grams).

So now I see I have an allocation of ~25 gram (1 oz) for a knife, so I think it is better to have a bigger one with more comfortable handle. What would you suggest me? I think the bigger and stronger the knife – the better, no matter the task it is designed for. You never know what else you will use your knife for.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Get some Uncle Bill's tweezers for your first aid kit. The ones from an SAK or Style are terrible. There are many suppliers, but here's the source: http://www.slivergripper.com/

I am a fan of the Victorinox paring knives. They are 3/4oz plus your choice of sheath. The Little Vickie version with a slip sheath is 1oz total. $6.93 at REI right now: http://www.rei.com/search?query=little+vickie&version=V5

More on paring knives:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=84648

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74811

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=67201

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=86434

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I'm big on scissors myself, having observed how many trips from the jobsite to the ER are made for knife and razor-knife injuries, but never because of scissors. e.g. open a Mountain House package? I use scissors. Cut moleskin? I use scissors.

But you're not a scissors guy, so I concur with Dale: For a blade only, but more than a razor blade, I like the Little Vicky a lot at 17 grams. Duct tape and two pieces from a HDPE gallon milk jug makes a sheath for free and 3 grams, or Victorinox's sheath is really nice for 6 grams – it is sturdy and stays on the blade. 23 grams total and you've got a lot more blade than a SAK Classic (which is what I carry if I don't need to butcher a caribou).

Buck Paklite Caper at 36 grams is an awful lot of knife for that weight. $18.85 Amazon Prime. With the factory sheath it is 68 grams total, but just MYOG a sheath for 5-7 grams.

One option towards the single razor blade but FAR more capable would be a replacement blade for those new never-sharpen-it, just-replace-it skinning knives:

http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Steel-Replacement-Blades-count/dp/B00D3R67AO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1391639679&sr=8-9&keywords=replacement+knife+blades

$1 each, you can wrap it in some tape, use the belt sander to form some finger grips, and/or coat it with the Plasti-dip handle-making goo. I guessing here, but 3 grams or so?

PM me if you want me to toss one in the mail to you (they're pretty cheap in the bigger multi-packs).

"you" = any BPLers.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

If all you're after is a razor blade type of cutter, might try one of these.

19 grams for the all SS Olfa, but cheap plastic ones are available anywhere for about a buck and would weigh much less. I've found the plastic tips like to break off though in hard use conditions. I've used these at work for over 20 years and love them.

Edit: The plastic ones usually have built in storage for a couple extra blades though, which is a bonus.

2.5" full razor blade when new, and always a sharp tip if you only slide out what you need and snap it off when it gets dull. By design, they do tend to snap easily with any side, bending pressure if you're not careful. The SS Olfa and 5 extra blades is still only an ounce though.

They make a large model with a more substantial blade, but it's much heavier.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Seems the Gerber LST's always come up, so figured I'd throw a pic up of the 2 side by side. 1.2 oz for the regular and .6 for the mini. My beat up Evo Junior is there too, at 1.7 oz with the pocket clip removed. A bit heavy with the aluminum frame, but a bit more of a workhorse. The woodgrain is in 1 inch widths for scale.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

If all you need to do is trim things, open packages, first aid, and do gear repair, I've found scissors to be significantly more functional and safer to use. I use a pair of 3" Westcott Titanium Craft Scissors from Walmart(?) at 0.25oz. I have a needle in my repair kit for dealing with splinters.

Of course, it won't do anything woodworking-related, but if I wanted to do that, a sub-1oz or even sub-3oz blade wouldn't do the trick either, imo.

Chris Arnold

@christopheractual

Locale: Oregon, USA

Evidence suggests that the human species wouldn't even exist without the invention of the edged tool so I don't see how someone can think of them as obsolete when they're fundamental to our society and our very existance. To me, having a good cutting tool is just part of being human. I personally think that the small razor blades and or just carrying small scissors is going stupid light. A knife may not be something you use much or even ever on a hike but the utility a good knife can provide makes it an essential piece of emergency gear IMO. You don't need a big bowie knife but you do need something you can get a full/secure grip on. Like another poster eluded to, I think the reason why people can't recognize how usefual a good cutting tool can be is because most don't have any experience with knives outside the kitchen. They just don't have an idea of how a knife can be used to improve their situation. Even less people have experience with sharp knives. The last being the leading reason for knife injuries. A dull knife needs more force to cut, more force equals less control and that loss of control is what causes injuries.

I learned how to sharpen a knife properly and now scissors are absolutely useless to me on hikes. I frankly can't see how they're more useful than a good sharp knife but everyone's different I guess.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

You knife people are so quick to defend your religion, but always fail to bring good evidence to support the question WHY. That's fine you have your comfort item (mine is an iPod nano for books on tape), just don't sit here and say the following without backing it up:

> essential piece of emergency gear

What makes it an essential piece of emergency gear? I already am carrying food, a shelter and equipment to keep me warm for the lowest possible temperatures. I can understand for a dayhike maybe, but not a backpacking trip.

> the reason why people can't recognize how usefual a good
    > cutting tool can be is because most don't have any
    > experience with knives outside the kitchen

What is it useful for then?

> They just don't have an idea of how a knife can be used
    > to improve their situation.

How have you used your knife to improve your situation?

I know the answer to these questions, but the WHY always results in something that is NOT necessary and NOT that useful, when considering the context of the other items carried on even a SUL backpacking trip.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

-blaze a tree, split firewood, cut stout tent pegs, kill and skin a pig, make stretcher poles, fell a tree to cross a deep chasm, fight off a griz, or peel a potato…

Don Morris

@hikermor

Interesting list, but I must say it is rather hypothetical. Im more than five decades of backpacking,climbing, SAR, and hiking, I have never had the occasion to use a knife for any of these tasks. Usually I have carried some type or variety of SAK – probably the most common task was cleaning my fingernails.

The often expressed "need" for a knife is wildly exaggerated.I do routinely carry one, but a multi-tool gets the job done. Do you honestly think you will really use a knife to fall a tree to cross a deep chasm? Find another route or use decent climbing gear – that will consume far less time and energy. Come to think of it, there have been far more occasions where a good rope was more critical than any cutting instument……and I have seen plenty of backwoods emergencies.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Settle down guys. It's just a knife. No need to flame each other about it, hike your own hike ect. This topic is like the windshirt/wind pants/ rain pants threads.

I got into backpacking through bushcraft and part of that has always stuck with me. I have a tendency to improvise things with natural materials rather than carry things with me.

fwiw I've gone hiking with no knife before. I tend to use a small folding saw far more than a knife.

if you have never needed to use a knife, that's because you have planned out your kit in way where you would never need to do that. good for you then. It just depends what YOU want to do and how YOU accomplish certain tasks.

We have threads about hiking without a rain jacket and going into the mountains with a 5×7 tarp, why is using survival/bushcraft skills as a substitute for over preparedness considered foolish now?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Don,

I'm with you. I have never needed a knife. A small blade like a razor, dermasafe or SAK Classic is more than adequate. I did carry a Buck knife in the 70's to clean trout. Earlier this year I bought a Little Vickie for cookless trips. Cuts Shepherd's bread and cheese, spreads peanut butter and honey. Other than that, a razor blade works just fine on most trips.

Don Morris

@hikermor

I don't believe anyone is saying a knife is not useful, but it is putting the knife on the "essential" pedestal that is just a wee bit over the top. My experience has been primarily in the semi-arid west,both deserts and mountains, as well as the brushy chaparral in between. What has been essential is the ability to light a fire (especially in adverse conditions) and a canteen (preferably full or nearly so) or access to a water source. A good map ranks right up there too.

I own about thirty or so knives of various types, and I usually carry one. They are handy, versatile tools, but "essential"?- no way.

Seriously, have you ever cut down a tree to cross a deep chasm? Outside of a cheap Hollywood flick, could you ever contemplate such an action.

Thinking about it, I have always carried a knife when scuba diving, typically one of the "sharpened prybar" variety. Especially in an area where there is lots of fishing, you will need something to hack through the plentiful monofilament. On the water, a knife is probably more critical than any land environment

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I carry the A.G. Russell Ultimate Pen Knife in Titanium; 0.2oz, 1.5" blade, 2" folded. $20

http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-ultimate-pen-knife—titanium/p/RUS-P3TIB/

Steve

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

"Seriously, have you ever cut down a tree to cross a deep chasm? Outside of a cheap Hollywood flick, could you ever contemplate such an action."

Tongue firmly in cheek I can.

I have peeled a potato tho.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools