Topic

Where to go in Southern Andes in January.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Where to go in Southern Andes in January.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

I have read a bit and routinely come up with Torres del Paine (TdP) but am looking for other options.

It looks like I may be getting to go down in the direction of Patagonia. I am reluctant to spend 2-3 weeks at TdP during the busiest part of tourist season, and not explore more of what South America has to offer.

I will be going with a friend or two and we are looking for some off the beaten track activities. We are certainly interested in trekking the circuit in TdP but want some other things to do… including but not limited to:
    climbing, mountaineering, kayaking, fjording?, boating, fishing, eating, trekking, scrambling, cycling… I would also be game for a cross country multidisciplinary adventure trek. Trek/raft/trek/climb/rappel/trek…

Think southern third of the continent. We are heat pansies and also want to reasonably limit transportation costs.

Two to three weeks. Another reason to not fly all over the continent. I wish I could go for 6 months, but I make my living as a ski instructor. Luckily January is a pretty dead month.

Oliver Nissen
    BPL Member

@olivernissen

Locale: Yorkshire Dales

I'm not fully qualified to answer, as I only did one side of the Andes(remaining in Argentina) and I was only there during mid winter, so my choice of activities were different: ski-touring, snow shoeing, snow kiting, snowboarding. However I felt a real magic about a number of places I visited there, my favourite of which I thought I'd share.

Ushuaia is a low-tax, party-town outpost and good base to explore largely untrammelled Tierra del Fuego, with it's curious mix of oceanic and scaled-down (to about 4000ft elevation) alpine surroundings. I understand there are some remote trekking opportunities in the area. While most of the other visitors go out on boats to see the local sea life, I'd head on any trail going West, and get close up views of the dramatic Darwin Mountains.

I wish you a great trip.

Oliver

BTW, it's worth noting that the yellow fungi that grow on the trees are bland but edible and can supplement your rations – Cyttaria darwinii (Darwin’s fungus)!

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

A friend of mine with whom I will be traveling said this:
    "it's only about 150 miles from calafate to o'higgins. Wonder if that's hikable."

Hikeable on roads… sure… Any trails? doable XC routes?

Also looking for mountains. Aconcagua would be severely rad, but would take up a lot of time by it self with proper acclimatization… Unless… whatchya think? Yes I do have some alpinism experience: Crampon, ice axe, rock, rescue, short rope… Could be game for something less technical in that area… Ideas?

Another option is Monte San Valentin, at about 13,400 I think is the Highest peak in southern Chile/Argentina. I would be interested in climbing that.

Also looking for some fjord paddling, easier rivers, class II easy III maybe. Kayak or packraftable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools