Topic

Good news for those who pack their iPhones

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good news for those who pack their iPhones

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I include my iPhone 4 as part of my UL backpacking kit. I know there have been a number of threads about smartphone use in UL hiking, about the pros and cons. I find it to be a very useful multi-functional item that I use for pictures, to keep a daily audio journal, to play games while waiting out weather, etc. I was pleased to see the new iPhone 5 comes in at a listed 112 grams (3.95oz) dropping over an ounce from my current iPhone 4, that is thankfully over two years old and ready for an upgrade. It is also volumetrically smaller and will have a longer battery life.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

A few weeks ago I went out for 4 days solo. I almost never pack my iPhone but on this trip I did. I was glad too! I had a lot of rain one early afternoon before heading up Muir Pass (south to north). I decided to sit it out and set up my tarp in Big Pete Meadow. The only problem is I am not used to spending that much time in camp. I started a fire, which got rained out in a downpour, I fished until it rained and hailed, and I cooked. Finally, I put my headphones on and listened to music. I was really nice having it with me. I may bring it more often. I was also able to play a game or two which I never do.

Nice to see the new iPhone 5 will be lighter.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

But I just heard the connector is different which would frustrating to say the least – that all my charging cables and more so, the external batteries I have, may be useless for an iPhone each other. Anyone have confirmation on that?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

well of coarse they will sell you a $59 adapter at the apple store

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Yes, connector is completely different, but there is an adapter. You'd be screwed if you had a charging case, that wouldn't work.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Do those adapters allow anything with a docking station to still be dockable with the new iPhone?

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Do those adapters allow anything with a docking station to still be dockable with the new iPhone?"

Don't know but I'd doubt it, since it would make the iPhone sit up much higher on whatever you were trying to dock it to.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

"Do those adapters allow anything with a docking station to still be dockable with the new iPhone?"

Yes, but it depends on how much height you have. If the docking station is completely open on top then you have room but the phone would sit higher due to the dock adapter.

The Lightning (new) to 30-pin (old) adapter is $30.
    The Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable is $39.
    The Lightning to USB cable is $19.

The phone will probably come with a USB-Lightning cable but I will buy more to keep in the cars and other charging locations in the house.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Just wait a couple weeks and eBay will be flooded with adapters and cables for less than $5

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It was time to change the port. IMHO the 30 pin port is weak. The question is why they didn't go to a standard USB connector. Why the iPhones don't use a swappable battery is another puzzle.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"Why the iPhones don't use a swappable battery is another puzzle."

Probably a trade off they thought was worth doing to keep the phone as thin as it is without giving up battery capacity. Packaging a standard replaceable battery would be much less efficient.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

for the adapter. $59 is awful high. I agree the external batteries are a biggy. What if you owned a stereo (I do) that takes all previous gen iphones and pods in pop-out door like an old CD player (did I just say old CD playero; welcome to the future baby). Anyway, there would not be room for an adapter in the drawer, so I guess it will become useless unless I want to run a stereo to stereo mini cable from the headphone out to the aux input. I do think the multii pin adapter is a flawed design, but apple kept it for so long. Something more easily compatable should have been created.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Packaging a standard replaceable battery would be much less efficient."

Exactly. Apple is going away from user replaceable batteries in much of their line, much to the dismay of some users. The new Macbook Pro doesn't have one (the battery is soldered to the motherboard, I believe), the new Macbook Airs don't have one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools