Topic

Question about modifying my MLD Newt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Question about modifying my MLD Newt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I love my MLD Newt BUT I have one of the earlier versions without the front mesh pocket. I have asked a couple people if they would sew one in for me and they did not want to rip seams and sew in the pocket, they didn't want to weaken the seams. My next thought was making a stuck sack with tie out loops that can connect to the bungee loops already on the front of the pack. I might still try this, but I have a new idea…

I am thinking of sewing two parallel daisy chains on the front of the pack about an inch in from the side seams. Then I could attach a pocket or anything else. I got the idea from the daisy chains on the front of the HMG summit and porter packs. I would imagine this would be more structurally sound than attaching the pocket to the bungee tie outs. What are your thoughts on this? Should this hold up?

I could then sew up a MYOG stuff pocket based on HMG's.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

You can use line locs on a pocket and connect it to the loops. I have done this on one of my packs and it works well. I use a little different configuration, but I think that it would work here too.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Are you referring to the bungee loops that already exist OR the daisy chains?

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

The bungee loops. Make a pocket with line locs around the side. Run cord through them into the loops.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Does anyone have any thoughts on my daisy chain idea? Thanks.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I've done the daisy chain idea too. It work. If you use slick clips, it will just hang off the front instead of being taut though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools