Topic

Sony RX1–full frame fixed lens compact

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Sony RX1–full frame fixed lens compact

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Reading comprehension seems to be your bane…

All those words were additional reasons why FF is a dead format.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

And you just confirmed that you don't have a clue…
    Macro=Zoom
    Photog (never heard a photographer use that version..)
    F48
    and now FF =Dead format…
    The problem is you confuse what you know and like with what happens outside your basement.

(Your long diatribe was just a way to obfuscate the facts.
    That might have worked for you but does nothing for me…
    The facts are that you totally missed the advantages of the FF format).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Franco, I think you are confusing him with the facts.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Funny thing is that FF killed the medium format.

Sure Hasselblad is still hanging on but not as a profitable camera maker, in fact if it weren't for Fujifilm it would be dead too.

Now Bob, go and practice your hyperfocal distance settings so that everything in all of your shots is in perfect focus…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Now Bob, go and practice your hyperfocal distance settings so that everything in all of your shots is in perfect focus…"

Yeah, sure. Try that with an 800mm lens and an extension tube.

–B.G.–

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I bet Galen Rowell would not find the fixed lens limiting and would find a place for it in his waistpack!"

Galen Rowell was more of a Nikon user.

–B.G.–

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Time was there were no "serious" slr zoom alternatives to the vast collection of excellent primes in the day. Zoom design and the available optical materials, treatments and manufacturing techniques have closed a good deal of the gap, but like a kid's math problem about cutting distance by half with each step, you never actually cross the line comparing advanced zooms with primes. And that's without considering that primes also benefit from the same advances in design, materials and treatments.

I met Galen a couple of times because I know his daughter. He'd howl at these silly discussions. If there were ever an "F:8 and be there" guy, it's Galen. See you at K2.

Cheers,

Rick

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I interned at mountain light photography pouring over galen's catalogue as an image researcher for a summer in college. I keep thinking about how psyched he would be running around with one of these little high IQ compacts. He was totally an 'f8 and be there' guy, but how he 'got there' was always fast and light. Mountain light would also blow up his 35mm slides (often push processed) into huge prints. They were grainy as hell, but the pictures were so good it didn't matter.

Oh Fool
    BPL Member

@dansol-2

Locale: So. Cal

Hey,

I know this is an old thread but I got a production model of the RX1 last week and took it on a trip to Mt Whitney this past weekend and I just wanted to share my first impressions. (ill post a full review in a couple weeks when i get all the accessories and better RAW software)

First let me say yes its expensive, very expensive, even outrageously expensive. But in short, for the price, you have no other options as far as end result image quality goes; and if you factor in the revolutionary size and weight, its (in my opinion) a no brainer.

So i packed my bag and headed to sierras to do some real world testing. The first thing notice about the RX1 is the build quality, its amazing. You feel as though you have a true professional tool in your hands as opposed to a toy like feel of many other cameras. the second thing I loved about the RX1 is the battery size, yes the battery size. i know its not on the top of list for many people but for me it is. The batteries were a traditional 'compact' camera size not those huge DSLR or NEX systems batteries. Why is this important, well for us its all about weight right? Right, but for me its also about keeping those batteries warm during an early morning alpine start, and its way easier to keep smaller batteries warm than it is to keep larger ones warm (also i can bring more!!!). And the cherry on top? USB charging. Ya thats right I can charge my full-frame professional quality camera from USB on the side of a mountain. But at the end of the day I have a camera around my neck that can produce professional quality prints at a fraction of the weight and size of a SLR set-up (although i still have my 5d and L-series lenses, the RX1 is not meant to compete with it, its in a whole different category, a different league).

However, there are some drawbacks. There is no integrated viewfinder. You can buy one…for $600. This is a real misstep by Sony. If you design this crazy new full frame $3000 niche camera why not put a EVF on it? If this thing had a EVF on it would be, without a doubt, an instant classic, a milestone even. Other people will point to the fixed lens, which is not really a problem for me. I always shoot with fixed lenses anyway and 35mm is a perfect focal length for me. Then, I guess, the only other real drawback is the price. Which is frankly ridiculous. Another misstep by Sony, if they price this thing just a little lower it opens the whole thing up. And the price of accessories, are you serious Sony? $200 for a lens hood, $500 for an EVF, and $600 for an optical viewfinder that cant show focus adjustments? Unreal. Hopefully by the time the RX2 comes around they will get these prices under control (probably not). But at the end of the day I would and will and have spent the money to get me one of these. The image quality is just that good!!!!

I have summited Everest 3 times and as a physician I go back every year to provide medical care. And the camera I have seen more than any other up there is, not surprisingly, the same camera every western-based guide service recommends…a variant of the Canon G-series. After my time on Whitney with the RX1, I suspect that clients who pay upwards of $60,000 and their guides are going to be favoring a new camera for their summit pictures.

These are some of my first impressions, I will post a full review and sample pics in a couple weeks. Please free to ask questions.

PS I have no financial disclosures to make. I do not work for Sony or any affiliate of theirs.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Great review. That camera is worth it to some, and not to others. Just like the Leica digitals. Would you post some photos here from your trip? I'd love to see what you captured.

Personally, I've been eyeballing the Fuji X-E1 with the 35mm ƒ/1.4 for my backpacking adventures.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Brian – I am completely confused by your comment that you can't take a photo of a flower with a full frame. That doesn't even make sense. Care to show some examples of what is not possible on a full frame?

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

A whole lot of d*ck waving in this thread with a substantial lack of photographic evidence that any of you know what you're talking about in regards to actually taking a good photo. And none of that "the beauty is in the eye…" BS either. That's the cry of a talentless and equally spine-free someone who hasn't sat through hours of peer critique to realize yes, there really is a lot of crap being produced and you're probably the one producing it (because we all create garbage art for a long time). So basically you'll all wrong until someone demonstrates that in practice you know how to perform!

Aaaaaaaanyhow…. The Sony made me quiver a little inside until I realized the price. I'll stick to my D7000 and collection of AF-D primes. For me it boils down to whether or not I could make $2800 worth of memories with it, OR successfully make $2800 worth of actual salable product with it. Frankly I'd rather buy a $1000 (which I wouldn't need) and take a trip somewhere nice with the other $1800. But yeah, I too lusted after this camera for a time, regardless!

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I think the camera is awesome and groundbreaking. If I had the disposable income, I'd buy it. I'd also own an M9 if I had that kind of money, too. Not sure what Brian is getting on about Full Frame being a dying format and not being able to take pictures of flowers…

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools