Topic

Ferrules for P400s, V6s. – Carbon tent poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ferrules for P400s, V6s. – Carbon tent poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

If looking for an internal carbon ferrule for SkyShark P400s, or Victory V6 shafts, please note that the Easton Carbon Injexion 330 arrow shafts are .244" OD (outside diameter). The P400s and Victories are .245" ID (inside diameter). It is a snug, but not tight fit. Unfortunately, about 6" of the Easton shaft has a glued-on wrap.
    The rest, though, is usable for ferrules. It is a strong, 10.1 grain per inch tube, that should have good break strength. There is an unglued wrap at the nock end that can be stripped off and cleaned with alcohol. A dozen puchased from bowhuntingoutlet.com unfletched will yield about 96 ferrules of 3" length each at a cost about the same as the $1.25 apiece that FibraPlex charges for .240" OD ferrules that are too loose for the P400s and V6s, and not as strong.
    Hope this is of interest to any other carbon tent pole makers out there. If so, be sure to get the 330s, as the other Injexion shafts are different diameters, and are not all carbon.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks for the tip. Good info.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Finally received today a reply from Easton to my inquiry about the construction of the Injexion shafts, and whether they were "pultruded" or "wrapped." Easton advises that they "are pultruded using Easton's proprietary C2 process."

I've had many negative results with pultruded carbon shafts and rods, not to mention considerable negative feedback from Roger Caffin also. So Easton's response gives some serious pause. Will make some ferrules and stress test them before proceeding.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Good luck on your testing.

I always feel best if I have personally tested something that I'm counting on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools