Topic

Singer 404 for sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Singer 404 for sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

I rescued a vintage, practically mint-in-the-box Singer 404 sewing machine yesterday from my local Goodwill. I paid $25 for it, and am willing to sell it for the same price to some deserving MYOG person on a first-come, first-served basis.

I already have a Singer 15-91 in very good condition, and a Singer 237 in perfect condition, each of which support my MYOG habit. My wife & I had just dropped off some stuff @ GW over the week-end – we were passing through the store when the 404 caught my eye. I went back yesterday to grab it if it hadn't been sold.

I'm half-inclined to keep it just because of its amazing condition, including its perfectly balanced stitches. However, I bought it expressly because I knew I could hand it off to someone interested in making their own gear. While some sellers on eBay are trying to get over $300, that's not really my bag. Besides, as you can see, they aren't getting any bids:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=singer%20404*&_sop=16

The 404 is one but a handful of Singers that are favorites of collectors. Here's a brief overview of the 401-404 line-up of machines:

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/25/singer-401-401a-403–403a–404–sewing-machine-review.aspx

Anyway, shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'm located in coastal north Orange county.

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

sending a PM now

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

I should have mentioned the machine is available for local pickup only.

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Interested. I'm also in North OC. Your PM is not setup. Please PM

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

PM sent.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Very cool Hobbes!

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Sold for the bargain price of $25. John, hopefully we'll see some kind of report on your ongoing MYOG projects. Very curious to see how the machine fares.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Nice find and fantastic offer.

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

SOLD!!! Thanks for being so generous. This machine is in great shape. I slipped a plastic gear on my Viking making a backpack this year. I had never worked with one of these vintage Singer's. The metal components are a work of art.

Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools