Topic

MLD Cuben Poncho Tarp Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Cuben Poncho Tarp Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Forry
    BPL Member

@porkpie73

Locale: High Sierra

Here's a link for a review I did for the MLD cuben poncho tarp I used for my hike along the Colorado Trail last month.

http://www.shawnforry.com/Margin_Walker…A_Hikers_Chronicles/Blog/Entries/2012/9/6_MLD_Cuben_Fiber_Poncho_Tarp_review.html

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Not to try to put you down, but it's a backyard review, not a field test. I was excited to see someone use a poncho cuben tarp for a 400 miles trek but it was tested in a backyard. Any more field info?

Shawn Forry
    BPL Member

@porkpie73

Locale: High Sierra

Everything was tested in the field. While trying to break the unsupported speed record I didn't exactly have time to do any staged photos. I just used my backyard to take the photos, but the set up, results and application are all the same. I can photo shop a more appropriate background if it's helpful :)

Shawn

Dave T

@davet

Pretty sure that if Shawn Forry is reviewing something, it's because he used it on some fairly hard hiking. :)

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Shawn,

Awesome awesome review and writeup!!!

That poncho has been on my wishlist for a rather long time. I have almost bought the slightly lighter a number of times.

As for the comment about about a "backyard review" – lol, too funny.

Why do people not realize that some of us out here actually do not carry a camera and video recording software with us when we hike??

Out of the thousands of miles I have hiked over the last few years, maybe a few hundred of those miles I actually had a camera or video gear along with me.

Why should I carry a camera/video gear just so people can have pretty photos of gear I am going to *maybe* write a review about. I do not need a camera to remember my trips, maybe others do and that is fine, but please do not be critical of those of us who choose to hike light and not take a camera with us.

Come on folks… just be grateful for guys like Shawn who take the time to write up reviews on highly specialized gear such as this poncho! Shawn used this poncho to shave as many grams as possible off his TPW… why expect him to lug around a camera just for you to have pretty photos in a review.

David Ure

@familyguy

Even Andrew Skurka carries a camera.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Being a long time poncho user, I've been delighted with the MLD Cuben Poncho and Chaps. I haven't used the poncho as a shelter, just as rain gear. Great piece of kit!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Thanks for the review. Really looks like a nice piece.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

"Even Andrew Skurka carries a camera."

He doesn't really have a choice. With him, it's for self-promotion and advertising. It is truly one of his however-many essentials. For the rest of us, it's an option.

Personally, I've always felt that if someone else wants to experience the views I had, they can sweat THEIR tail up that @#$%^ hill and earn it. I never carry a camera or a cell phone, ipod, ipad, Nook, or any other techno-device on the trail. That said, I have yet to hike in areas where safety dictates would over-ride that preference.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes Bob, I was kidding.

Yair Mazor
    BPL Member

@harmonicwave

You managed to pass some of you knowledge and experience through this – thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools