Topic

The Silly Stix are back!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals The Silly Stix are back!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I want to announce that my Silly Stix are finally back in stock and ready to ship. For those that don't know about them, they are 9" long rods made of .125" type 5 titanium, designed to act as supports for my Zia grills. They come as a set of six, weighing 2.2 oz. or 63 grams. They may also be used as tent stakes, as well as numerous other functions. They are unique as tent stakes because of the extra length. I chose to have rounded tips, so as to not poke holes in anything. Lawson has shown that pointy stakes are overrated. They can also be employed as a stand alone pot support. The photos below show how they are used. The first one shows the Stix in grill support mode. Note the 2 at the ends, which serve to hold the grill in place so that it doesn't lift off when turning a steak. For merely boiling water in a pot, these end pieces aren't needed.

Stix/grill/pot

This photo shows how to use 6 Stix to make a simple pot support:

Stix pot support

For those that aren't familiar with the Zia grill, it's perhaps the planet's lightest functional backpacking grill. Measuring approximately 4.5" x 11" and weighing 0.9 ounces, it will support over a pound of steak or 2 cups of water in a pot. More weight can be supported, but I don't find it necessary very often. Here are a couple of photos of one in use:

Grill/Titan

And with two 8 oz. filets:

Grill/steaks

Two of the grills can be used to sandwich some fish or meat, so that you don't have to fight to flip it. The two grills are connected securely by titanium rods. Here's a photo of a double grill with connectors in place:

Double grill

Here is BPL's description of the Zia grill when they sold them in the gear shop:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/zia_fabrications_titanium_grill.html

The pricing for these products is as follows:

One set of 6 Stix $30
    One set of 4 Stix $23
    1 Grill $50
    1 Grill + 6 Stix (package deal) $75
    Double grill with connectors $95
    Double grill, connectors, and 6 Stix $120

The prices include PayPal fees and postage for US addresses. Add $5 extra for Canadian addresses. For our friends overseas, please add $10.

If you are interested in these products, please contact me at drzooz(at)aol(dot)com.

(Edited to add photo)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Karen, I mailed your Stix today. Hopefully you'll receive them in time for your trip.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Duane, your Stix were mailed yesterday.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

So I've had the new batch of Silly Stix available for 3 weeks now, and nobody seems to care. Maybe people are just being silly. But if that's the case, they really should pick up a 6-pack of Silly Stix to complete the persona. But if you don't have any Silly Stix, then you are just…um… well, silly. However, it's OK to be silly. Just look at this silly post.

Here's a partial list of the multiple uses for these Stix:

1) Grill (4 supports, 2 parallel rods)
    2) Pot support over fire, for a pot with bail (2 stakes, 1 cross piece)
    3) Supports for a windscreen
    4) Three Stix arranged in a triangle will function well as a sturdy pot support
    5) Complete grill (need 9 for steak, 6 for simple pot support—see #1)
    6) Splint for broken bone (need 2-3, plus some duct tape)
    7) Hang flashlight/lantern from a tree (tap it into a knot hole)
    8) Hang candle lantern inside your igloo or quinzee
    9) Spare tent stake
    10)Dry your socks by the fire
    11)Roast a grouse over a fire (need 2 to skewer the bird, and 4 support rods)
    12)Roast weenies or kabobs, satay
    13)Hang car keys in vestibule
    14)Route marker (attach high-visibility tape, or a bandana)
    15)Ruler—score one inch (or centimeter) increments in rod
    16)Toilet paper (need 3—two supports and one for the toilet paper roll)
    17)Hang cup or spoon to dry
    18)Short fire poker stick (perfect for use with the QiWiz.net FireFly wood stove)
    19)Defense weapon (need a very sharp tip), and you must be very quick
    20)Semaphore rods (need 2 squares cut from a red bandana)
    21)Pointer for map discussions
    22)Assist in positioning a bear-bag rope (attach to long stick with duct tape)
    23)Camp Jart game (attach pine cones with duct tape for balance)
    24)World championship wilderness limbo rod supports (squirrels, bugs, and snakes
    usually win)
    25)Convenient rod to whap your hiking partner when he does something silly (hence
    the name)

This photo shows the comparison of a Stix to other common tent stakes. The stakes and ruler aren't really bent, the camera had a sort of fish-eye moment. It also wasn't very good at recording true color, but you get the idea.

Stix and stakes

So, be silly, and match it up with a set of Silly Stix. You'll be the envy of hikers everywhere.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

James, I mailed your 6-pack of Stix yesterday.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

They're on the way. It should just take a couple of days to reach Grand Junction, Pete.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Hi all–I wanted to announce that I am having a sale on my Zia products during the month of May. 10% off everything.

So the prices will be:

Full size grill–$45 (normally $50)
    Mini grill custom made for the QiWiz.net Firefly stove–$27 (vs. $30)
    Double grill with connectors–$85 (vs. $95)
    Double Grill with connectors + 6 Stix–$108 (vs. $120)
    6 Stix–$27 (vs. $30)
    4 Stix–$20 (vs. $23)

The above prices include shipping to US addresses. Due to increased international postage, I need to ask the Canadians to add $5 US to the order. Other international addresses, please add $10 US to your order.

If anyone is interested in the carbon felt and titanium foil kit to convert a Fancy Feast cat food can into a sweet alcohol stove, I will sell these for $10 if you order something else. I can put it in the envelope and not incur additional postage. This kit includes a piece of carbon felt, titanium foil to act as a pot stand, and also a 2.75" titanium foil base plate disk. See this photo for details…

The components (the titanium base plate isn't shown):

cat can stove parts

Assembled stove:

assembled cat stove

If you would like to order something, please contact me at this e-mail address:
    drzooz (at) aol (dot) com.

The prices are good through May 31. This offer isn't valid when purchasing on the QiWiz.net web site, only by contacting me directly. Let's call it a BPL special!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I just wanted to do an "Ides of May" bump to remind everyone that I am discounting all my Zia products through the end of this month. See my post above for prices. After May 31, the prices return to normal. I will be out of touch during July and August. So if you are thinking about a grill, some Stix, etc. get them now while they're cheap.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Time's running out for the May discount on the Zia products I make/sell. I'll be out of touch after mid-June, so you'll need to order before that, or wait until September. You can save 10% off everything through May 31.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Rocco and Arn, I mailed your kits this afternoon. Look for them by the end of the week.

Does anyone else want to save a few bucks on my Zia grill products before the prices go back to normal (the sale ends May 31)? See the above post for pricing.

Thanks to all who have taken advantage of the sale.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I think we picked up the thread and dropped it again. I will take a micro/mini Zia, whatever fits a 850 kettle best, especially if used over a Tri Ti Caldera Cone. Send me a PM or email. Thanks.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Brian, I sent you an e-mail about your grill.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I received my Silly Stix today.

I really like the design and flexibility.

I will primarily use them as shelter stakes. The extra length gives better holding power than typical 6" shepherd stakes. Especially important with ridge lines on tarps.

The head pattern adds to the flexibility. The extra hook on the head makes for a more solid anchor when combined with found objects in loose soil.

The extra length means it should be more solid when laid horizontally, line attached to the center, with rocks stacked on top.
    This is something you have to do in cases of strong winds combined with a bad site surface.

The other flexibility aspects makes for a great multi-use item.
    I suspect I will be using them as pot stands from time to time.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks for confirming receipt of your Stix, Steve, and for providing some feedback. You are right about the extra length coming in handy. I've not been a fan of the 6" Vargo ti stakes, as they seem to not hold well for me in loose soil. The longer Stix do.

But there are all sorts of uses for a stake this long. I use one as a fire poker for my wood stoves, to pin down my cone when I lift the pot off, and to dry my coffee mug after washing it. I also have used two Stix to reinforce my Zia grill along the sides (I keep 4 split rings attached to the corners of the grill, and slide the Stix through them). I expect you will find all sorts of other uses for them.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Just a heads up to remind everyone that my May BPL sale ends tomorrow night. So if you're on the fence about scoring a grill, mini grill, or some Stix, you need to make your move. After June 15, I'll be out of touch for a couple of months, so now's the time to buy.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Heads up–my Zia sale (10% off) ends tonight at midnight. Tomorrow the prices go back to normal.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

I received my grill and stix yesterday. Great stuff! Thanks for sending them out so quick and for the stix holder! Really liking the options with the stix, I see these getting a lot of use beyond supporting my grill. I plan on giving everything a test run on a fishing trip in a few weeks.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks for your feedback, Arn. Let the grilling and multi-use Stix begin!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Hi all, I want to let people know that I'll be unable to fill any orders for my Zia products after June 20. I'm going to be doing some extensive trail time, and I might not get back home until Sept 1. I'll post here when I return. So if you need a grill or some Stix, or anything else, please do it soon. Thanks to everyone for your recent purchases!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Just a final reminder–I won't be able to fill any orders after this Friday (June 21). So if you are thinking about buying a grill, or some Stix, now is the time. I'll be back from my wandering around Sept. 1.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Final reminder–today is the last day for ordering Zia grills and Stix. I'll be back from my road trip around Sept. 1, but I won't be able to fill any orders after today.

Garth Collier
    BPL Member

@garthc

Locale: Singapore

Hi Gary,

Just sent an order..hope you can ship before you take a break….cheers!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Garth, I received your order and payment, and I will send your kit today. This is my first Singapore order! Thanks for your support.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

Gary,

enjoy your rambling around

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks, Eddy. Rambling around being bear bait in Yellowstone for a few weeks should be a hoot. I just hope the wildlife cooperate politely, and that there are no fire bans like last year. Then, hopefully, I'll have enough reserve energy to try to scheme some stuff in Glacier. If nothing else, I'll hang out with family on Flathead Lake, and maybe cruise up to Banff/Jasper for some quality mountain time. It's all good.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools