Topic

PCT v.s. AT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique PCT v.s. AT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

of those of you have done both, or at least significant portions of both since very few have probably done both …

which long trail did you prefer ?
    any particular reasons ?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

PCT. I'm getting close to half of the AT done and thru hiked the PCT and I would say that the majority of the AT is similar to the filler sections on the PCT. I'm sure there are some areas up to the extreme north that could rival some of the PCT but lb for lb the scenery of the PCT is incredible. There are some advantage on the AT for some. It is a more social trail, there is less dangerous areas ( few nasty stream crossings and less potential for snow ) and finally it seems less wild and intimidating which less experienced hikers may find comforting. But both offer an opportunity to get away from it all and lose yourself to a simplier life.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

From the many of the people who have done both,
    PCT has higher elevations, which can be a problem for some people
    AT is physically more demanding for others, less miles per day, more ups and downs.
    PCT can require iceaxe and/or crampons at some points along the trail
    AT averages more rainfall/weather extremes overall
    PCT is usually drier, but not always.
    AT is a little less remote overall, but…

Ron Berry

@squishware

Locale: Southwest Florida

I'd take the PCT in the third round by TKO.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

An AT hiker is walking along and sees cow dung on the AT. The AT hiker immediately whips out his cell phone and calls the ATC in an angry voice and wants to know why livestock is on The Holy Trail.

The PCT hiker walks along, sees cow dung, grumbles and hikes. The PCT hiker then gets into a trail town, whips out her smart phone, logs onto the local USFS district website and writes a sternly worded letter about getting livestock removed from the wilderness areas. Her wilderness experience should not be impacted like this!

The CDT hiker sees cow dung and thinks "COOL! THERE MUSY BE WATER NEAR BY!"

;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools