Topic

05 Thermawrap vest vs. 07 Thermawrap vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 05 Thermawrap vest vs. 07 Thermawrap vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Hi, everyone. Besides for the addition of handwamer pockets and a slightly different collar lining, is there any difference between the 2005 Montbell Thermawrap vest and 2007 Thermawrap vest? Different amount of insulation or anything like that? I am trying to decide between the two or waiting for the Cocoon vest. Thanks for your help!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

This vest/jacket is popular over here for four reasons.
    1. no sleeves to get damaged/dirty during camp chores
    2. short sleeves block 'pumping' of warm air out of chest area; thus warmer than a vest
    3. lighter than the jacket version
    4. Cheaper than the jacket (about 84 bucks for the down version)

If you can't get it there, I'll send one to you for $110, shipped. No profit for me, just a train ticket to the Montbell store, and a beer…
    ps, these are 800 fill down.

Ben T.; you know you NEED one for those shoulder season hikes for rest stops over/under your new Houdini!?

Montbell down inner half sleeve jacket

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Thanks for the offer, Brett! Do these come only in down or also in synthetic? I want to stay with synthetic for this type of garment. Thanks again for the find.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Matthew:

When MB introduced hard-warmer pockets to its newer Thermawrap jacket without increasing overall weight, it did so by reducing the jacket's fill weight. The same thing is true for the Thermawrap vests:

2005 vest – 60g / m2 Exceloft insulation
    2007 vest – 50g / m2 Exceloft insulation

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I have the 2005 version. I am getting some insulation migration through the lining material. This is happening in the underarm area from the arm pits to the waist area. It has never been compressed or stuffed.

Other than that I like it a lot and the older ones had a bit more insulation. Or mine did at first.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bill:

Are you referring to a jacket? I have a 2004 jacket and there hasn't been any insulation/fill migration at all. I think you should call MontBell warranty and see what they will do about this.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Sorry, I am talking about the Vest. I just noticed it. I just thought it was fuzz and tried to pick it off. When I tried to pick it off out came a bit of insulation.

I really like the vest and wear it a lot.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Can I take you up on the offer for the new Montbell vest/jacket insulation piece? Do you accept paypal. I have tried to PM you before but never heard back from you (wanted a montbell pillow). I also am interested in the japanese half pants (U.L.DOWN INNER KNEE LONG PT). How much would those cost?
    Please email me at [email protected]
    Thanks!!!

Brett- thanks for getting back to me!

Brett .

@brett1234

.. on the short arm jackets. Sorry!
    Let us know what you decide on?..

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Give me a little time to think this over. I need to give some thought to the synthetic vs down issue. I already have a Micropuff pullover so I will have to think if I want to go synthetic again or make a move for the down. I love the idea of a down t-shirt…:) Great design.

Brett .

@brett1234

Matthew,
    Yes, its a great idea. Im going to Montbell tomorrow to buy one, and matching down pants, for another BPL member. No hurry on yours, but they will sell out this being the end of winter.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Thanks for the offer of picking me up a MB down half sleeve jacket, Brett. That is a very tempting offer. However I am somewhat weary about packing a down insulation garment like that while also using a down bag. Carrying something synthetic offers some more room for error especially since I use a poncho tarp/bivy for a shelter/rain jacket. I will probably end up getting a Thermawrap or waiting for the Cocoons to arrive in April. I really like what Montbell's UL down apparel brings to the plate but don't want to go all down. I would love to buy both the down and synthetic Montbells, but I am already out of room for gear in the tiny apartment my wife and I live in and shouldn't lay out the cash for both. But I am sure I will find an excuse to someday.:) Anyway, thanks for your help, Brett!

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Brett are the versions of the down short sleeve in Japan snap only? The only ones in the US I've seen are snap.

I'll probably end up going for the Alpine Light Down Jacket because it has a zipper.

Brett .

@brett1234

I own the light alpine jacket, and its a great piece of gear. Cloth is a little fragile, but that results in a light weight garment. It packs very small as well.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Brett,

Can you look at the part of the snap on the inside and see if it says – Advancen YKK – ? It is very small but can be read. This may be the same snap I have on my MB Thermawrap pants. The snap used on the pants is about 1/2".

If this is the same snap I have a real challenge for you if you choose to accept it.

Thanks.

Brett .

@brett1234

.. but I own only zippered MB jackets. I'll probably be in MB within the next few days and check that. I'll copy your information to my notebook..

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Brett,
    Thank you very much.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Bill, I work just a few blocks from the Montbell store in Boulder. I was out and about and stopped in. The snap is labeled as you say "Advancen YKK". I hope you and Brett don't mind.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Steve,

If you are considering the Montbell Alpine Light Down Jacket then also consider the Feathered Friends Hyperion Jacket. It has many options for materials and colors. It also has more down than the Montbell and is about the same weight.

Here is the FF link:

http://tinyurl.com/2z4m28

It is a great jacket; mine is made from eVENT and weighs much more, but I think that you would be pleased.

Rich

Steve .

@pappekak

Rich, thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

One of the attractive things about the MB, aside from me being able to try one on locally, is that the shell is 30 denier Ballistic. And for $150 it is reasonably priced.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska
    Steve .

@pappekak

Thanks Don. The jacket no longer comes in Pertex but has a "Flite" option. Is anyone familar with Flite material? I've never heard of it.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Steve,

Flite is a 30/40 denier nylon Taffeta. Click on the Flite name on the Hyperion Page, it will bring up a separate window and describe Flite.

My Large Hyperion Jacket in eVENT weighs 16.4oz (Don's large in Epic weighs 14.2oz). My jacket also has extra fabric and snaps to add the optional Volant Hood which is also made out of eVENT fabric. Mine weighs 3.2oz in eVENT while the website indicates the average weight is 4oz. If you are interested in the Volant Hood the following is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/bo8f8

If you want the Volant Hood in Flite you will have to discuss it with FF because Flite is no longer listed as an option, but I suspect that FF will make it.

I purchased the Jacket and Hood along with the Feathered Friends Vireo Sleeping Bag all in eVENT with the upgrade to 800+ Down. FF overs a 15% discount on both pieces if you purchase the Vireo Sleeping Bag with any FF Jacket. The Vireo is a hoodless, zipperless full length Climbers Bag. I had 2oz of 800+ down overfill for the bag and snaps so that the Volant Hood could be used on the Vireo Sleeping Bag as well as the Hyperion Jacket (or alone). This is the link for the Vireo:

http://tinyurl.com/3da8q

My Vireo in the short length with 2oz overfill and eVENT with the snaps weighs 22.4oz.

Rich

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools