Topic

Cuben Stuff Sacks (my first MYOG attempt)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Stuff Sacks (my first MYOG attempt)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Logan Bowling
    Spectator

@bowlingl25

Locale: Almost Heaven

So I am very interested in making a few cuben fiber stuff sacks. I have little to no sewing experience so the idea of taping the seams really appeals to me. The main question I have is do you think it is necessary to reinforce any of the cuben fiber that is being cinched closed? If so, what is the simplest way of doing it. Any other advice is also very welcome.

Thanks!!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Buy a zpacks stuff sack and copy it?

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSyfoecZCSE

I made all mine following this video and they have lasted approximately 500 miles so far.

If you still need tape I used this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ROLL-3M-Adhesive-Transfer-Tape-9485PC-1-2-in-x-60-yd-5-0-mil-02120063476-/260990708324?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc4422a64

If you need eyelets Joann's has them for about $5 with the installation tools included.

As far as reinforcement goes. The fold that makes the drawstring channel is plenty for strength.

Good luck!

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

+1 to buying one from Zpacks since Joe sells the fabric and the tape too.

Using 3M brand #94 solvent/cleaner/prep is supposed to help the tape stick better.

Does Steve Evans (Suluk 46) still have cuben bonding info buried on his website?

Start making them without the reinforcement to see how long they last. Upgrade later, only when necessary, to avoid delaying your start. Expect to learn as you go. Choosing smooth, slick cord may reduce abrasion in the cinch channel.

Someone wrote about using the fibers as a straight line when laying out the shape on the fabric. Using a warm (not hot) iron helped make the fabric keep the folded edge but that may have been for sewing.

backwoodsdaydreamer.com has a stuff sack pattern

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Start making them without the reinforcement to see how long they last. Upgrade later, only when necessary, to avoid delaying your start."

I would suggest to delay now and study a bit first. When the CF fabric costs $25-30 per yard, I would hate to keep doing it over and over to get it right. MLD stuff sacks are reinforced nicely.

–B.G.–

Logan Bowling
    Spectator

@bowlingl25

Locale: Almost Heaven

All the info you guys have given so far is excellent. I had actually watched the youtube video that was posted and my biggest concern was putting in the eyelet but if the price of the tool is only five dollars I will look into it.

It would also be nice to have a stuff sack to give me something to go off of but I would like to not spend the extra money on buying one.

Thanks again for the advice!

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Installing eyelets is really easy. If you are worried about strength, just double the mount of cuben there. I have done that when using a button hole stitch on lighter nylons.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

The tool that comes with the eyelets is not the one in the video. It is a little tapper that you use with a hammer.

I first made small stuff sack out of tyvek to get a feel for it. I think you will find it fairly easy once you get going.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools