Topic

Lake Basin, Kings Canyon National Park, California

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Lake Basin, Kings Canyon National Park, California

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Got to take 6 days to cool around exploring this hard-to-get-to plateau. The John Muir Trail used to go through here before they finished the "Golden Staircase" north of Palisades Lakes in the early thirties. The old trail has since been neglected and the basin mostly overlooked. It's not easy to get up here! Started at Taboose Pass, almost 6000 ft. up the eastern Sierra wall, then cross-country west off the JMT and over Cartridge Pass from the south. More photos and a trip report on my site PlanetRambler.com

Unnamed lake atop the first plateau. Across the valley is Bench Lake.

First glimpse north in to Lake Basin from Cartridge Pass

Part of the big L-shaped lake in Lake Basin

Marion Lake

Palisades at Marion Lake

North side of Cartridge Pass is simply a goat trail on a talus slope

Arrow Peak from the old John Muir Trail

The S. Fork Kings Creek valley below Bench Lake, east (L) to west (R). Don't miss the big version of this on my site

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for your Lake Basin TR and photos. Your photography is beautiful (as usual). The Marion Lake photos have got me psyched! I will be there next week while on the SHR and have a rest day scheduled in Lake Basin to explore those shallow lakes.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Great TR and beautiful photos! Looks like an amazing little corner of the Sierra; well worth the effort to get there.

Yet another place I'll have to visit someday.

-N.

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Thanks for the comments guys. Andy enjoying your blog. Will read more later.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Larry

Thanks for sharing your pics! You have some really great photos. I have not made it down there but it is on my top few to do next year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools