Topic

Shoes that can do anything…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoes that can do anything…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Needing some new shoes for the gym and decided in an effort to minimize my belongings I want to not buy shoes that are JUST good for the gym, something more versatile.

If you could only have one pair of shoes that you had to use for light backpacking, hiking, going shopping, vacations, going to the gym, going for an occasional jog, even to wear to work on casual Fridays…what shoe would that be?

Any suggestions of what to look at?

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Get a zero drop shoe. It helps squating and deads significantly. It takes you off your toes.

Edit: I use vivo breathos and like them a lot.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>" light backpacking, hiking, going shopping, vacations, going to the gym, going for an occasional jog, even to wear to work on casual Fridays…"

I do all those things in Salomon's low-cut trail runners. XT is the model, I think.

If I only had three shoes in the 48 states, it would be a pair of trail runners, Crocs for wet/hot conditions, and black leather loafers for office/dressy occassions.

Here in Alaska, I'd really want to add a fourth pair: neoprene Bogg boots to just below the knee for use in snow, on the beach, while fishing, and because they are surprisingly reasonable to hike 5 or 10 miles in.

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

It's important to ask what your gym routine is like. I'm coming from a weightlifting perspective, and to lift freeweights you must absolutely have a flat sole.

If you're using machines, it's far less important (maybe a little more important if it's a smith machine or something that mimics real weightlifting) and your options open up a lot.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I'm probably the opposite of you in that I have lots of shoes for specific purposes, but if I had to pick just one pair it would probably be iniv8 f-lite 195. I think they're now listed as gym shoes on inov8's site (they used to be running shoes)

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I wear my merrill trail gloves for all the activities you describe, including work. I do own a second pair in leather for when I need to be dressier…

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

YouTube video

gregory tomlinson

@osconfused

Locale: New York City

I'll second, or I guess third, the notion of zero drop shoes. I recently switched to them and I am truly amazed by the improvements I am seeing in my balance and ankle strength. I am using the merrell barefoot line as well, but I at this point I am positive I will replace future shoes with zero drop soles, regardless of the brand.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

I'd go with a zero drop or minimal drop trail runner. I've put 1000+ miles on a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves and they've held up well. I've used them for pretty much everything with no issues. For something with a bit more support and 4mm drop the NB Minimus are good shoes too, although I can't comment on the durability as I've only put a couple hundred miles on them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools