Topic

Hip Injury

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Maguire

@ppatmag

Hello all,

This is my first post, wish I had found this site about a year ago!

I just completed the JMT, from Happy Isles to WP. Did it at a pretty casual pace of 18 days.

I was told about 4 years or so ago that I would eventually need a new hip. Not sure if I believe the Dr, because my hip stopped hurting for the longest time. I am 45 year old male, in pretty good shape. But, after the JMT, my hip has started to hurt again.

So, wondering if any of you have a sore hip, and what you do to keep it at bay. I did my hike in pretty heavy Asolo boots, not much cushioning. Since then, I converted over to a pair of Salomon XA3D Ultra trail runners. I will test these out on a short trip next weekend, but I am thinking they will be better on the hip.

Any tips from anyone with a hip injury?

I know I can lighten up my load, and I really did lighten it up quite a bit for this past JMT trip. I got my base weight down to around 20, but I know I need to work on that a bit more..

Thanks

Paul

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I would highly recommend looking into joint suppliments I used to carry knee braces every trip and had to use them often, I dont even know where they are now.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

It really depends on the injury…but a bit of time in the gym can make a big difference. I've worked with a lot of clients with hip issues and more often than not the pain can be reduced with some attention to the core, specifically the glutes and lower back.

Strengthen glutes with single leg squat variations (lunges, split squats, etc). Strengthen lower back/core with plank variations. Relieve tightness in the hips with a few quick and easy hip stretches – warrior lunge, leg swings, high knees.

For most, even those considered "fit", this sort of stuff can really help.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I am seeing a neurologist for hip/back problems. Already had nerve tests and next is an MRI. He thinks that a "hip-stretching" physical therapy regimen will do a lot to help me. ITB and Psoas bands ned stretching.

BUT… if yours is a joint problem then get the hip replacement, by all means. This will keep you from injuring the other hip by putting too much stress on it when favoring the bad hip.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools