Topic

MYOG Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

This was inspired by Jamie Short and his bivy design, which can be seen here: http://lytw8.com/My_Gear.html#LytW8_Bivy

I enlarged some of the dimensions a tad, since I am 6', large framed, and have size 13 feet. I also used a longer mesh window, mostly because I intend this to breathe as much as possible. I used a 56" zipper from Zpacks in an "L" shape for the opening. The top and bottom are both 1.3 Sil, it was super cheap at an online store. It weighs in at 9.4 oz and feels pretty durable. All I need to do is sew the seams to box in the corners and its done, but I could not resist snapping some photos after cranking it out in 1 sitting.

Here you can see how wide it opens, and it with my GG Nightlight torso pad and 20 degree bag inside. Its roomy enough for sleep without feeling too claustrophobic, but if it was any narrower at the shoulders it would probably impede my normal thrashing and rotisserie sleeping movements during the night.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Looks like super clean work, and I love the blaze orange for visibility.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Looks good, but if that is sil on top, you are going to have some horrible condensation issues.

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

I went back and read more on this orange fabric I had bought, it's been laying around since last year. It says "Lightly Urethane Coated".

I guess if this bivy doesn't breathe and I end up with bad condensation, I am only out less than 20 bucks or I can just modify this. Or consider it a prototype. Maybe I will try it out this weekend.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Hi Anthony, Bivy looks great. I am always amazed at how people continue to take this simple pattern and adapt it. When I originally published it, I planned to have full instructions and photos but never got around to do it. People have just run with only the basic layout. I don't think I have seen the zip run the way you did with the extended window.

I agree with Michael that it sounds like you have used a top fabric that will not breath so be careful and expect condensation. The easy way to test this is put the fabric across your mouth and blow. If air passes through you are ok, but the bottom will leak. If air is trapped you have a water proof type of fabric, probably silnylon based on the fabric weight.

Either way you have the right MYOG attitude. How else can you learn such great lessons for so few dollars. And you next one will be even better.

Jamie

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I agree completely with Jamie. Keep at it for sure. You're not out much money even if it doesn't work. If you need help choosing material in the future, feel free to send me (or I'm sure Jamie would mind either) a pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools