Topic

Transition from traditional boots to either North Face Hedgehog III or Salomon XT Wings 3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Transition from traditional boots to either North Face Hedgehog III or Salomon XT Wings 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I've finally found some shoes that, with sufficiently thick socks, seem to fit my narrow feet. This will enable me to finally try to move from my traditional LL Bean Cresta Hikers (~56oz/pair!) with thick Smartwool hiking socks. The NF shoes are beefier, weigh around 30 oz/pair, and require a medium Smartwool hiking sock and a fairly thick liner. The Salomon XT Wings 3 (very different design from the XT wings 2) weigh around 25oz/pair and can be worn with a light Smartwool hiking sock and a thin liner. Both _felt_ stable, comfortable, and solid, but the NF shoe _looked_ very sturdy with an aggressive tread. The Salomon _looked_ more nimble.

I would not say that I have very strong ankles now. Just walking around the store made me think that the Salomons were probably adequate (and a bit lighter and would enable me to wear slightly thinner socks). However, I'm not sure how I'd feel about them on the trail with a ~20lb pack after hiking all day. My worries about how big a departure this may be from boots make me lean more toward the Hedgehog.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

rhz

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

bump…

thanks!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I went from boots to the North Face Hedgehogs. Now I'm transitioning to more minimal shoes. It wasn't a bad jump, and I had no issues with it in terms of my feet. The NF shoes were alright (do not get the GORE-TEX–waste of time and money), but in the end I wish I had just gone for a regular pair of trail runners. Their durability was okay–nothing to complain about, but nothing to be excited about either. I'd say they lasted 300-350 miles. Hard to say, though. That's just an educated guess.

In the end, I couldn't wait for them to wear out so that I could go to something more flexible and lighter.

Have you looked at the Inov-8 line? Their performance last is fairly narrow (certainly narrower than the Hedgehogs), and Running Warehouse will give you free shipping both ways, so returns are easy and almost not a hassle.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi Clayton,

Thanks for your response. I know that Inov 8 makes narrow shoes. On the basis of what I've seen, I'd be concerned that most Inov 8 performance last shoes are overly minimal. I have no idea what they'd be like in the field. I was hoping instead for a fairly stable "mid weight" trail runner like the XT wings.

Nevertheless, I take your point about wanting to make the direct transition to trail runners.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I went from boots to a trail runners about a year and a half ago. Been every where from the flats to the Sierras and can't ever think of a time I'd want to go back. As a matter of a fact, every time I see my boots in the top of my closet I think I should put them in the box and sell them. And I finally shall do so, probably this winter when I've got less to do.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Rafi, using the Running Warehouse fit guide, you ought to be able to find plenty of options. I just bring up Inov-8 because of their excellent reputation here and because I have been enjoying a new pair of Trailrocs for the last month.

La Sportiva may be another good option.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools