Topic

Lightweight Small Scissors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Small Scissors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

"…the Swisscard scissors can be held shut by slipping a small segment of IHateSupportingtheWaltonsmart aquarium air pump airline over the blades of the scissors. Adds virtually no weight and keeps the pokey end from dun did pokin' things "

Awesome – thanks. I fashioned a high speed teflon coated low drag holder out of a piece of cardboard, but it sucks. I'll have to find some tubing.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Guys,

Hit up the fast food joints for one of their HD plastic straws and re-purpose it when you're done slurping down a slushy or a shake.

Use a long enough section to cover the point of the scissors. If you want to really get into it, heat seal the end of the straw.

I'm pretty sure the thin plastic will be lighter than the silicone tubing.

Also you can avoid the "IHateSupportingtheWaltonsmart" stigma if you so desire. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

BTW my scissors arrived today and they look like this…

Small Finger Loop Scissors in closed / safe mode

…and yes they are not what I ordered. ;-?

Here is the good news. I'm keeping them because the finger loops are large enough for my fat fingers. They were advertised as 1.5 oz per pair. They actually weigh 30 grams or 1.05 oz. I'm pretty sure that the larger finger looped version would be heavier.

They seem to do their job (cut) very well. They aren't the lightest option but I'm a gearhead gadget freak and I like the way that they fold up and stow the points safely away.

Newton ;-)

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I have a Victorinox Climber and am considering downsizing to the classic. Looks like a couple of people here have and like them (will consider alternatives as long as they have scissors and are eligible for the REI coupon).

Anyways, question is, can the nail file be used as a match striker?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the Classic, as much for the scissors as anything else. I carry a 3.5" pocket knife as well and the Classic is there for grooming and cutting stuff where the larger knife would be clumsy. The toothpick and tweezers get used often too. I carry one every day for that matter.

Small embroidery and craft scissors weigh around 0.5oz (or even less) and are real tools. You can find Fiskars all over and can go hog wild in a specialty sewing shop— but watch your wallet. There are all kinds of medical scissors that are light and sharp; most are designed as throw-aways, so they should be cheap too.

Here is an example of the 4" Fiskars. The ones I have are 5", weigh 0.6oz and I got them at a flea market for $2
    Fiskar's craft scissors

"…can the nail file be used as a match striker?" On strike anywhere matches, yes, but not for the ones that come with a reddish striker like the UCO/REI storm matches. A chemical reaction is happening there. I have used the metal zipper on my Levis for a match striker back in the day.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools