Topic

All I want are some socks…but the shipping cost…OMG!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) All I want are some socks…but the shipping cost…OMG!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

G'day all

I'd like to get some Rocky's Gore-Tex socks, size 10. I live in Australia.

My problem is, that I've attempted to buy them on at least three sites, with the cheapest charging me $38.00 for shipping…for such a low weight, low volume product….this is insane.

To date I have tried REI, Rockyboots, and Campmor…and I'm looking at similar prices for all.

Does anybody know of other online outlets with a reputation for cheap international shipping? Or perhaps another Gore-Tex sock that has an equally good reputation and cheap shipping?

Cheers
    Jase

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

If I was in my home country I'd mail them to you for 1/3rd of that(at cost). However, I'm traveling….hopefully another member will help out.

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Thanks just the same Kenny. The thought is appreciated. :-)

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I work in a business which often has overseas shipping needs, and many of my customers arrange to have me ship their items to a friend who is visiting the US, and their friend takes it home in their luggage, and deliver it when they get home.

You would be surprised how often this method is used.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Tom, I have this friend who needs to ship some corn starch in your luggage. Let's hook up.

Robert H

@roberth

Had the exact same problem trying to get some Darn Tough socks to Australia!
    Ridiculous huh? Hopefully someone can help you out.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Ha! Erik, I figured that somebody would come up with that angle!
    However, my items are much more mundane, are legal, and much less dangerous.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Jason: I can relate. Some USA companies charge more than the items cost to ship to Alaska when they use the private firm UPS's 2nd-day air instead of the national post, USPS. It really bugs us Alaskans to be treated like a foreign country and I schlep a lot of stuff in luggage from California to Alaska each year. My Aussie friend (went to school together in California K-12 but she's in Canberra now) left the USA last month, so I don't have that option just now.

Are these the US$60/pair ones that REI has? How many pair? Are you a member of REI?

Here's one option: You buy them, have them ship to me, and I'll remail them to you. USPS rates for 1- to 2-pound packages / large envelopes were $11 to $18. You could paypal me the postage cost.

Or, I buy them from REI (they will ship to me for free as it is over $50), then I use my future REI dividend (historically 10% of purchase price) towards the postage, which may cover all the postage. You paypal me or send me a bank draft for the sock cost in US funds, whatever is easier.

Note that British shoe sizes are a touch different than USA sizes, by about 1/2 size for size 10. I'm not sure which scheme Australians use. At least the "European sizes" (e.g. size 44) is a constant. Also, read carefully any info about fit, "runs large", etc, in on-line customer reviews.

If any of that sounds helpful, PM me and we can swap information.

-David
    Kenai, Alaska

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

David: :-) Hi. Yes, the $60/pair socks. You're right, many people speak of these having a tight'ish fit (around the cuff), which is why I will upsize…especially when I am considering using a thicker sock for winter use anyways… I thought I'd give them a try for winter trail-runner hiking. They seem to get great reviews. Unless you have other ideas?

It will be just the one pair for now. I'm not an REI member. Thank you kindly for your offer – I shall keep it in mind if I can't locate someone who ships at a sub $20.

Thanks once again.
    Jase

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The thing to remember with the Rocky Goretex socks: they don't have any real stretch (there's a somewhat stretchy panel on the top side of the sock, but it doesn't really help much). It's not the cuff that's a tight-ish fit (the cuff stretches), it's getting the sock over your ankle/heel that's tight and difficult, especially when removing them. I've found the easiest thing to do, actually, is to grab the heel of the sock and pull there when removing them.

I wear a size 8.5 shoe. I have both a size 10 Rocky sock and size 11. I wear the 10s when I'm not going to wear them over heavy socks, and they fit well. I wear the 11s when I'm using them in winter over heavier socks.

Hope that helps.

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Thanks Douglas…great advice.

I wear a size 9 (Australian size 9), so was going to look at size 10 or 11 sock also. They will be used primarily for cold weather/snow/very wet hiking, or with thicker dry camp socks for around camp.

Cheers!

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You live across the ocean, I live 10 hours from some of these companies. Even closer than the states on the east coast from the states on the rockies. and they want $40-$50 to ship things to Canada, PLUS 5% tax and duties on top of the shipping. making up the differnce in price in inflated shipping costs to pocket the extra profits.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Could it be that to send a parcel O/S you actually need to go to the Post Office yourself and fill up the forms ?
    That may take time and not all that many workers are willing to do it for nothing (that is in their spare time…)
    Franco

Andrew McAlister
    Spectator

@mcalista

Jason,

Try an international shipping service such as shipitto.com

Basically, have it sent to a US address, they then resend it at the cheapest rates possible to Australia. If you are buying several items, consolidation savings can be significant.

Andrew

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"Could it be that to send a parcel O/S you actually need to go to the Post Office yourself and fill up the forms ?"

That's what I do – there are forms to fill out. But I live in a small town and the line is usually quite short.

I don't if a US business can complete those forms in advance of a regular on-site mail pick-up or not.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Franco pondered: "Could it be that to send a parcel O/S you actually need to go to the Post Office yourself and fill up the forms ?"

You can do all the forms with the free Postal Assistant software available from the US Postal Service. If you have a postage meter, you don't need to go to the counter. I need to do that for First Class International because I don't have a meter. If you use Priority International, it can all be done online– at a much higher cost. First Class International can only be used for stuff under 4 pounds (the 4 pound rate is $30.44; one pound is $11.60). If someone in shipping had the brains to use a Small Flat Rate Priority International box, you could ship up to 4 pounds to Oz the fast track for $16.95— provided it would fit in a box the size of a VHS tape.

My guess is that the US online retailers aren't completely dialed in for the international shipping options and it is a general rule that the shipping department isn't where they keep the rocket scientists :) $38 did make me gulp!

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Alternatively, go to Wiggle or one of the other UK bike stores, buy Sealskinz instead and if you spend more than about A$80 the shipping to Australia is free.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools