Topic

Do I flip a coin ?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
PostedMar 9, 2007 at 9:21 pm

I have narrowed my sleeping bag choice down to 3 , WM caribou , Mont-bell #4 ss and BA Horse thief , in that order. I do my camping mostly in the summer and weight of the bag is an issue .I am 6ft 4in sleep pretty warm and am a restless sleeper ( according to my wife). Any Advise to help make my decision would be a great help .

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Pray tell, how do you plan to choose among three options by fliping a coin?

PostedMar 9, 2007 at 9:34 pm

We worked out a fairly simple way of doing a four way selection using two quarters and binary… I dunno how you would make 3 choices work, but I'm sure with some thought it could be done.

Adam

PostedMar 9, 2007 at 10:46 pm

Richard

I'm 6'4" and also a restless sleeper. I found the caribou with its full length zipper and wider cut a very comfortable fit.

Regards

WM Caribou

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2007 at 11:34 pm

For me, I would pick either the WM or the MB. Maybe you can flip a coin from there? :)

Jim Colten BPL Member
PostedMar 10, 2007 at 1:35 am

Pray tell, how do you plan to choose among three options by fliping a coin?

Folks doing computer simulations have been doing that for decades (most computers being binary critters). You just have to flip the coin enough times.

Four flips will produce 16 possible results … 16 can be divided 3 ways with reasonably even odds to each choice. Six flips gives 64 results and the 3-way odds are more even.

PostedMar 10, 2007 at 4:17 am

Remember that if you choose a BA bag you can't shift around quite the same. The pad is attached to the bottom.

David Lewis BPL Member
PostedMar 10, 2007 at 5:19 am

If you move around a lot… I'd get the Montbell. I have one of those strethcy bags (the #3) and I LOVE IT!!!

PostedMar 10, 2007 at 10:00 am

I had the BA horse thief and have the montbell #3 down.

I did not put the mattress in the BA, but I found it quite a bit more restrictive than the Montbell.

I think the BA weighed 27 oz so it will be heavier than the Montbell.

Although the BA is quite a bit cheaper, I like the montbell a lot more.

Kirk

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 10, 2007 at 10:42 am

Kirk:

Just to be sure, is your MB #3 the UL down version or the super stretch version?

PostedMar 10, 2007 at 8:03 pm

And Ben,
You asked if the MB bag was Down OR super stretch. Both the Down and exceloft bags use the super stretch system.

I doubt I would buy a non sretch baffled bag again; it is so nice to stretch out , sit with crossed legs, fit two people in the bag, etc..
I also recommend you get the Long version for even more room; up to 75" in the shoulders. Try to find that on any other bag?!

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 10, 2007 at 8:15 pm

Brett:

I meant to ask whether it was the down Alpine (non-stretch) version or the down super stretch version. Reading my post again, I think I dropped a few words…

I am quite happy with the Alpine version. I am 5'9" and weigh 150lbs. The Alpine fits me really well — with space to move around a bit. In fact, I find that the slightly narrower "Thermal Sheet" (basically a hoodless No. 7 bag) fits me well also. I once used it as a liner inside the #3, and felt quite comfortable at around 17F or so.

PostedMar 10, 2007 at 8:38 pm

I really like the Montbell SS #3 – although in retrospect I think for my size, (6'1", 152 lbs) the Alpine might have been enough. But I had been using an REI SubKilo, which was too confining. The confinement didn't bother me, per se, I'm not claustrophobic, but I tend to push elbows and knees out when sleeping, which compressed the down and made for cold spots. The SubKilo was rated to 20 but I was cold many nights and just below freezing. The Montbell #3 is rated only to 32, and clearly has less loft, but nevertheless I've been warmer in it, because of no more thin spots. I gave the REI bag to one of my sons, and when I need a 20 bag, I just take along a few extra clothes. Incidentally I see on the Montbell website, that they no have 800 fill bags, which are the same, except a couple of ounces lighter for the same models/temp ratings.

PostedMar 10, 2007 at 9:39 pm

The problem about living out here in Australia is that many of the great bags you guys have available to you are simply not available to see here so I will have to buy the bag "unseen" .

PostedMar 11, 2007 at 8:50 am

Richard, here at my Montbell outlet I can buy a #7 down Alpine (zipperless) super-stretch* for about $130; shipping is $15. New;old stock. Let me know if you want one. They weigh about 460grams; good to 30F in a tent with a layer, IMO.
(You said you do most your camping in Summer, this should be enough, but I dont know your temperature extremes)

*(trivia for Ben: old Alpines were full super stretch)

#3 for $182
http://www.gearzone.com/Montbell-UL-Super-Stretch-Down-Hugger-3-p/165-19009.htm

Arapiles . BPL Member
PostedMar 11, 2007 at 12:19 pm

"(You said you do most your camping in Summer, this should be enough, but I dont know your temperature extremes)"

Depends where in Australia Richard is and where's he going to be using it: even in the summer the NSW/Victorian Alps will be sub-zero (i.e., below freezing) at night.

Richard – if you're in Queensland then go for the lightest option – the Caribou is highly regarded. If you're in Tassie, maybe not! I'm 180cm/84 kg with about a 110 cm chest (Aussie XL) and find the Caribou/Megalite etc (which are the same cut/dimensions) a comfortable fit, if that helps. Problem with zipperless is that you can't open it up if the weather is warmer.

PostedMar 11, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Yeah I was after something zipperless for the hot wheather . Last night outside was about 10c so up in the mountains would be about 3-4c so a full length zip would be good . I live at the base of the snowy mountains range and flyfish in the hills a bit . Every time I have camped I have been too hot so I need flexability with my sleeping system .

Andrew Lush BPL Member
PostedMar 14, 2007 at 6:00 pm

Gday Richard,

I have a WM Caribou and it's great for Australian conditions. I have used it in the Snowys during spring/summer and also in winter in Kanangra-Boyd (down to -3C).
The things I like about are:

It has a full-length zip, so you can open up and use it like a quilt on warmer nights.

The outer fabric is waterproof and breathable, which is great for using under tarps as it affords greater protection from spray and splashes.

I am 6 feet tall and I find the dimensions of the bag generous and comfortable.
It's very light and very compact and fits easily into my pack.

I got my Caribou from Backcountry Gear (http://www.backcountrygear.com). I have found them a great mob to deal with. It was delivered to my door, here in Sydney, four days after I ordered it.

PostedFeb 13, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I have a Alpine Ultralight Down Hugger #5 zipperless that I got on eBay for something like $50 a few years ago- it is my go-to summer bag, weighs somewhere around 17oz, packs down VERY small. I have used it in temps down to about 40 degrees and was always comfortable, you could stretch it into colder temps if you wear enough layers, and I have also used it inside of my Integral Designs 10 degree to boost it's warmth and keep me cozy to below zero. And since I sometimes roll around a bit, it's nice to not have a zipper to end up laying on. One of the drawbacks? My girlfriend doesn't like that there is no zipper, i.e. no zipping bags together. But on solo trips, it is my favorite down cocoon.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Loading...