Topic

Drive my car from Red’s Meadow to Yosemite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Drive my car from Red’s Meadow to Yosemite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

I've got a partner joining me for this leg of a Sierra High Route hike, and the easiest way for us to work transportation would be to leave our car in Red's Meadow the weekend of 9/15 and have somebody else drive it to Yosemite (either Tuolumne or the valley) sometime during the following week. I'm hoping somebody wants to shuttle themselves during this time. I'll cover gas and the Yosemite entrance fee. I'd strongly prefer somebody who's been on BPL a while.

We might also be able to provide transportation to/from the Bay Area on either end.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

There used to be a "Ride Board" in the Student Union on the Berkeley campus – probably at CSUH, UCSF, etc. Potentially a college student is looking to get away to the mountains but can't for lack of a car. When I was active with the UC Hiking Club, there were lots of undergrads who loved to get a ride, borrow my car, or go on a trip that I'd organize/drive for. Or hang a notice at an REI store offering car use (typically they pay gas while on their own) for the period of your hike while they explore Owen's Valley, Yosemite, Tahoe, etc.

Maybe that's all done on-line now through craigslist. I can understand the desire to have someone semi-vetted through BPL or something similar, but if you require a reference from their employer and you photocopy (or snap a photo with your cell phone) of their driver's license, etc, I've felt comfortable being on either end of that sort of arrangement with strangers. Since you need to know in advance that they're on board and acceptable, I'd meet them first, exchange info, and see if they pass my "sniff test" (everyone describes themselves as a non-smoker, including smokers).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"if you require a reference from their employer"

Is a UC college student going to have an employer?

–B.G.–

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Is a UC college student going to have an employer?

I was always working at least two jobs during my years there.

But substitute "faculty adviser", coach, etc, if you wish. Like doind a home swap, you can have (if you wish) more information on this person than most anyone on the planet.

Most people behave much better when they are not annoynomous.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Just use YARTS. Park at Tuolumne and take the YARTS bus to Mammoth Mtn, then the shuttle down to Reds. That way the car is already waiting at the other end right from the start and you don't have to coordinate with anyone else, and it's probably cheaper than the cost of gas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools