Topic

My neighbor charged by a bear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion My neighbor charged by a bear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

For some reason my neighbor and I missed each other, hiking in opposite directions. I was hiking down Granite Gap off of the PCT in the Bucks Lake Wildernes about the same time my neighbor (retired Judge) said he was on his way to Mt Pleasant along side the PCT in the Bucks Lake Wilderness in N CA, same trail. I don't know how we could have missed each other, one of us had the time wrong. My neighbor was nobo on the PCT, headed towards Mt. Pleasant and at about a 45 degree angle from him he said, out of the corner of his eye a bear was huffing and grunting bear noises then charged him. After a few seconds, he yelled, waived his hiking poles, the bear stopped, he turned around and was walking away when the bear charged a second time. Same thing, yell and wave the poles, after which the bear retreated some and this time my neighbor backed away with the bear looking at him and huffing more, my neighbor kept retreating then the bear walked away, over the rise. He only saw the one bear, no indication of cubs. On Saturday on my way up to camp along the PCT, I had seen two piles of scat, thinking nothing of it.

Duane

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I had seen two piles of scat, thinking nothing of it."

Were they both bear, or was one of them your neighbor's…..?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Doug, my neighbor saw one more pile than I did, all bear. He was concerned enough about this, that he is considering getting some pepper spray now. He has a few grandkids and enjoys South America and Mexico a few months in the winter. He gave up bping over 20 years ago, giving me all his maps and books.
    Duane

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

Wasn't there a fire near that area recently? If so, maybe the bear had some kind of a carcass it was protecting. Just taking a wild guess.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Doug, sorry you had a old joke. :)
    The Chips Fire is north a little, it was still smoky Sunday and Monday mornings where I camped both nights. Good point about a carcass though. It may have moved my neighbor who has grandkids to get some pepper spray now. He is out quite a bit mt bike riding all over too, he packs a PLB. I did not know he hiked much if any, he had given me all his old maps and books 20 years ago.
    Duane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools