Topic

Emigrant Wilderness Piute Lake Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Emigrant Wilderness Piute Lake Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Heading out for a quick overnighter this week and I was wondering if anyone has done a cross country route from Piute Lake down to the Pine Valley trail. Or is it better to go to Gem lake and do the same. I want to make this a loop and I have forgotten which lake I have stayed at and how difficult the travel is as it has been sometime since I have been there. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

That's all granite there. You can see where you are going. Just use good judgement in terms of route finding and you should be OK. There are always a few cairns there, to help lead you…to wherever someone else was going.

But if you can read a map, and are careful about not getting yourself into a silly situation that you can't get out of, you'll be fine.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Heya Ken,
    Sorry I don't have any tips, but I'm guessing this is in the Evolution area. Can you post some pics and a trip report when ya get back? I'm especially interested in the weather since I'm heading up the 14th.

Have a nice trip!

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Oh darn I'm stupid. Just read that this is actually in Emigrant. I just read Piute and got excited. Sorry, I must have had too much wine tonight.

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've hiked from Pine Valley up to Gem Lake once a few years ago. As I recall, it seemed somewhat steep, but not too bad. I had a GPS at the time so route-finding was idiot proof :-).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools