Topic

AMK Emergancy Bivy plus CS Apex?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear AMK Emergancy Bivy plus CS Apex?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

So I went out last weekend and got tons of condensation on my down bag because I cowboy camped. I'm realizing that the wetter weather is soon to be upon me here in the PNW and I'm looking at Synthetics.

Long story short:

What are people's thoughts about taking a 4oz AMK bivy and adding Climashield Apex insulation to the top, sides, and footbox area (much like a quilt) and then adding Polycryo to cover the insulation? This would make for a waterproof sweat box I understand, but I wouldn't then have to be so careful in wearing dry clothes to bed or worrying about condensation build up on the outside either.

I use a 7×9 tarp (sometimes) and a bug net. Yes I have ample room to change my clothes and stay dry in the rain in my down bag, but I'm kinda getting tired of of feeling like I have to "baby" my down bag.

Other questions would be how much insulation to use and then determining what temperature range it would be good for. I'm just bouncing ideas around right now obviously so any input would be great.

Cheers

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I have never used an AMK bivy, but I use Apex a lot here in GA where humidity is the main killer. I've been able to go to sleep in wet clothes and wake up dry, and he quilt is dry too. I really like the Apex insulation and have taken the 5oz Apex down to below freezing with a Alpine Light jacket.

As for you suggested plan, my main concern is actually with the polycryo. I have heard that it is very difficult to sew, and I am not sure if the AMK bivy will be much easier. I haven't personally tried sewing with either materials, but others at BPL have used the polycryo and reported difficulty.

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I actually don't plan on sewing anything. Instead I would use double sided tape that comes with the Polycryo (window insulation). I have yet to determine a way to hold the Apex in place using this method but I'll worry about that later ;)

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

What you are describing can easily be done with your existing down bag.
    You use the AMK bivy as a Vapor Barrier Layer around your body inside the down bag.
    Then use another AMK bivy as a waterproof outer bivy to protect from condensation.
    The end result is that the down "sandwiched" in-between stays dry and lofty, and no moisture gets into it from inside or outside.

Now granted, this isn't waterproof at the head opening, and wouldn't be suitable for just laying out in the rain. But if you had enough of a tarp covering to keep the rain off the open end around your head, you'd be all set.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools