Topic

Brunton Trooper UL Sighting Compass: $14 before discounts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Brunton Trooper UL Sighting Compass: $14 before discounts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

The Brunton Trooper, aka Silva Ranger LE, compass is a 23-gram sighting compass that fits inside the palm of your child's hand… and is on sale at Sierra Trading for $14, before any discounts you may have.

Brunton Trooper compass

The sale page is: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brunton-trooper-pin-on-mirrored-compass~p~4668c/

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Are these liquid filled compasses? I cannot find anything in their descriptions, including the manual, that says they are.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Yes, liquid-filled.

And it doubles as a signal mirror, for plucking the cactus-fruit thorns from your lips (don't ask how I know), and to comb your hair prior to trying to hitch a ride.

Interestingly, it appeared that STP would ship one to me (although I didn't click "submit order". Whereas they wouldn't send me a comparible compass a few years ago and I had someone smuggle it in. (Somethings can't ship to AK because there's no surface shipping option.) A different liquid? Fell through the cracks?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

David, you've apparently dropped off the no-ship list. Just don't order fertilizer and diesel on the same invoice anymore.

Re: the Trooper — note that an ultralighter fanatique could remove the "broach pin" and drill holes in the sides of the cover, taking this compass down to like 21.035 grams. Personally, I use the pin, and I not only use the mirror for mirror-type tasks, but the lid as my soup spoon.

Okay, maybe not that last thing, but I *could*. The predecessor to this item was a Silva without the sighting mirror, and that one has been in my backpack or front pocket since about 1980. Only recently has the Trooper replaced the old Silva 27, so I can demonstrate orientation techniques and now I like it even better due to the mirror's utility.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

I got one of these with a huge STP discount,and it's a good little compass. You have the mirror for sighting, and for other dual use purposes. Very well reviewed for what it is.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Made in the U.S.A. to boot. It's my favorite thing about Bruntons. Certainly isn't the big rubber dial that their bezels have.

Chad Billsby
    BPL Member

@billz107

Locale: Up North

Had one in my cart, but didn't check out quick enough. Dang!

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Anyone that purchased or owns one of these have it arrive with a tiny bubble in the dial? Wondering if this is normal for these to have a tiny bubble.

KJ

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools