Topic

Teton Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Where can I get some info on the Teton Wilderness? Falcon Guides used to have a book on the Teton/Washakie Wilderness areas but it must be out of print. There are five copies on Amazon starting at $199. A little out of my price range. Anyone here have experience in this wilderness area? Would you recommend it? I'm already planning for next summer and I want to find some areas in the rockies where I can enjoy some solitude. Also looking at the Bob Marshall Wilderness and Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

In addition to the replies you receive here I would also contact the Forest Service for that area

Buffalo Ranger District
    307-543-2386

They may be able to recommend some material and offer some opinions on the best backcountry opportunities within that particular wilderness.

Cheers

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Googling came up with lots of trip reports, some probably worth looking at.

We have all become so spoiled with detailed guidebooks these days that we seem to have forgotten the era (not all that long ago!) when trips were planned using a not-very-detailed US Forest Service map plus USGS topo maps (usually 15-minute, not 7.5 minute) that showed the topography but often not the trails. Maybe it's time to put some adventure back into our trip planning and forget the guidebooks? Actually, if you want to be away from the crowds, it's a good idea to give the guidebook trails a miss and go elsewhere!

Sometimes it's more fun just to head out on a trail that looks interesting on the map and see where it leads.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I was there about a month ago. Great place. Once you are up higher you can get out of grizzly country and its less stressful.

Fly into jackson hole and hitchike in … way easier.

the main trails can kind of be packed until you get farther into the back country though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools