Topic

marmot driclime windshirt replacement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) marmot driclime windshirt replacement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    D L
    BPL Member

@lamanite

Locale: Pacific NW

A very sad thing happened to me and my beloved driclime windshirt is no more. I ordered another one and was surprised to find that the newer versions don't have hand-warmer pockets. i know it sounds dumb but the situations where i was most likely to wear my windshirt were also the times i really appreciated having hand warmer pockets. I looked at the marmot ether jacket and can't figure out if they have handwarmer pockets or not (although the hood looks like a nice addition). Does anyone else have any recommendations for a replacement with pockets?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I own the Driclime windshirt without pockets. The only thing I can tell you is that in the conditions that I wear the windshirt for I find wearing windproof gloves more versatile. I am generally on the move and need my hands free anyway so I wouldn't use the pockets if they were there.

As far as replacement, one key point. The Driclime Windshirt is lightly insulated whereas most true windshirts (Patagonia Houdini, First Ascent Sirocco etc..) have no insulation but do have hand pockets. Not sure how important the light insulation is to you. If not then there are plenty of windshirt options out there that do have pockets. The two I mentioned are good.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I know what you mean about having a way to block wind from your hands.
    I now carry C.A.M.P wind mittens. Less than an ounce. They really make a difference.

They can be worn over thin gloves when extra warmth is needed.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I have the ether & it does have handwarmer pockets. I love mine. I think campsaer has them on sale for a steal too.

D L
    BPL Member

@lamanite

Locale: Pacific NW

that's great info, i think i'm leaning towards the ether. i do wear gloves but having pockets sure extends it's limits when in the shoulder season and i don't want to bring something heavier. what size is your ether and do you know what it weighs?

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

My size large is 9.5 oz. I wore it throughout last winter/spring with a wool hoody base. Its a great action layer with a broad temp range.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I bought an Ether too…for women, there are pockets. It also has the advantage of a hood and mesh under armpits for ventilation. I'm hoping to experiment with it as a base layer and wind shirt combined– with the Dryclime against my skin to take full advantage of the wicking properties.

Has anyone else experimented with a Marmot windshirt with Dryclime lining as their base layer?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools